We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Best places for dinner/dresscode?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
81 posts
72 reviews
Best places for dinner/dresscode?

I've stopped in Key West several times on cruises, but I'm going with my parents in 2 weeks for 6 days. We're staying at the Westin Resort. My dad is looking for places for dinner. Mom and I like seafood, but he's more of a red meat kind of guy. Would probably prefer a little more upscale, but if the food is good, then that's what's important.

Also, does dad need a sportcoat anywhere, or is a polo shirt ok?

Thanks!!!

london
Level Contributor
125 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

My favourite upscale restaurants are - Louis's Back Yard, Latitudes and Michaels. There is no dress code in Key West but I like to dress smartly at these 3. Have a great time

Moby

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
32,143 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

Check out the menu of the Banana Cafe up on Duval Street...

http://bananacafekw.com/mobile/

You could wear a beret.

Or Columbian Grace on Petronia. She has both seafood and steak specials...

http://www.colombiangrace.com/

Pjk

Edited: 5:15 pm, November 18, 2012
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

Dad definitely doesn't need a jacket, no matter where you go.

Serious meat lovers prefer Prime 951, so check that out. Also, Michael's and the Rooftop Cafe.

Have to mention Grunts as well. Very casual courtyard setting with seriously spectacular food. Wine and beer only. Very close to the Westin, on Caroline St near Whitehead.

Level Contributor
288 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

Short sleeve button down collared shirt, cargo shorts, ankle socks, and sneakers is my Key West Uniform every day I'm there; I've never had a problem with dress codes.

I second Latitudes, though it is on the pricy side it's worth it and you'll need reservations. We discovered Grunts on Caroline St. on our last trip and highly recommend it (get the lobster mac n cheeze). Grunts though only has a beer and wine selection no liquor if that matters. Caroline's Cafe on Duvall has excellent food. We consider it either a lunch spot or a "we need to eat before we go back to the B&B" sober up fast joint.

Others:

Mangia Mangia

Red Fish Blue Fish

A&B Lobster House

Half Shell Raw Bar

Schooners Wharf

Smokin' Tuna

Better Than Sex (Deserts only)

Blue Heaven (Breakfast)

Sarabeth's

The Rum Barrel

Fogarty's

Jimmy Buffet's (generic menu but very good)

Thai Island

The Boathouse

Hope this is more helpful than confusing.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
8,105 posts
133 reviews
5. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

Good, locally owned places with great fish and meat options would include Blackfin Bistro, Azur, Cafe Marquesa and Flaming Buoy. All are a little way from you hotel, but well worth the effort.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
6,794 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

Michaels is our favorite, but Prime 951 is very good if you're looking for a steakhouse.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

I will say that Prime 951 has wonderful fish entrées, which is sometimes unusual for a restaurant that specializes in beef. For upscale, Pisces is very good...also, A&B Lobster for wonderful food and view.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
81 posts
72 reviews
8. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

Thanks everyone! Great, very helpful suggestions.

Dad will be happy to know that his beret is acceptable and encouraged :)

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
32,143 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

There is an almost amazing French community in Key West; the Banana Cafe, Croissants de France, the Catman at Mallory Square, Rene's card shop next to Pepe's, La Creperie.

Pjk

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Best places for dinner/dresscode?

in Key West I think the only place you might want to wear a sport coat would be the Key West Courthouse.

Generally, the nicer the restaurant, the nicer your clothing.