We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thanks Seabus

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
WV
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Thanks Seabus

Seabus,

On April 12, you wrote about Clay Greager's "Last Flight Out" story. I was so taken with his story that I made a visit to Clay's shop while in KW last week. He is such an interesting man...we spent quite a bit of time with him as he shared wonderful stories with us. We left his shop with a copy of all his books. Thanks so much for your information regarding Clay.

We attended the symphony at the Fort. What an incredible evening under the stars. KW is certainly a special place!! It's hard being home again, but we're looking forward to our next visit.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thanks Seabus

You are more than welcome! The common thread on this forum is that the people here love Key West and all that it stands for. Passing along our enthusiasm is a pleasure.

I'm very glad you had a chance to visit with Clay and hear the symphony. Quite a bit of talent on this island!

As I've said in previous posts, everyone needs a first trip here because after that, there will never be a last trip!

Hurry back!

WV
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thanks Seabus

Seabus,

This was our 4th visit to KW, and each trip we add more and more experiences. Although we've visited many places, KW beckons us...we love that "Key West" state of mind. We love the sights, the sounds, the people, the history, and all the glorious food/drink.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thanks Seabus

Proof I'm not insane!!

Sooooo.... What's taking so long for your fifth trip?? :-)

WV
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thanks Seabus

Great question...I can't wait to get back; however, this job will keep me home for awhile!! I just close my eyes and dream a little KW dreamin!!!

While there last week, the skies matched the seas; the humidity was perfect and the breeze refreshing. It's wonderful knowing that I'll return to paradise!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thanks Seabus

Seabus, I missed your "Last Flight Out" post. I'll have to look it up. We have visited this store for years, since before it moved to it's present location.

sship

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thanks Seabus

sship,

If I remeber correctly it was on a thread about living life to the fullest. Taking a chance, if just once in your life on something big. The story of Last Flight Out is all about that. When I hit a moment when I wonder to myself if this will ever work... Did I just make the biggest mistake in my life, I re-read the story and it realigns the gyros (so to speak.) Clay owns a little store here on Greene St. across from Sloppy Joe's...

Here it is cause it's worth a re-posting:

The Story of Last Flight Out

During the middle to late 70’s there were only two ways to either arrive or depart Key West. One was by car traveling the old US 1 highway with its infamous seven-mile bridge and the other was the only airline to service Key West, which was called AIR SUNSHINE. Their first flight was at 8:00am ending with the Last Flight Out at 11:00pm. That airline was affectionately called “AIR SOMETIMES” due to its inability to fly on schedule. During that period Key West was only visited by a small number of tourists and it was considered one of the worlds “best kept secrets.” It literally captured those who visited and the most often heard comment was: “I’m not leaving until the Last Flight Out!” Arriving at the airport they would often find that the plane was not flying or it was full. However this was not cause for despair, in fact there are still people in Key West from the 70’s waiting for their Last Flight Out!

The LFO story doesn’t exclusively apply to Key West. It doesn’t even have to deal with a location. We all have a Last Flight Out within us. It’s that wistful thinking of who you’d like to be…where you’d like to be…and with whom you’d like to be with. It’s that ultimate escape in your mind. That last thought right before you fall asleep. Change careers, change locations, find a partner. Don’t say: “I can’t!” Believe in yourself! Step out on that 10-meter diving board. Close your eyes and lean forward. Trust that there is water in the pool. STOP going back down the ladder. Believe that just for today the Sun rises just for you…

- Clay Greager

Truly believe that there is one more Last Flight Out in you.

Arrivals… Departures… That’s what it’s all about

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,000 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thanks Seabus

One of my friends with whom I go to Key West with occassionally likes to spend an afternoon by herself shopping. I sit at the Pier House or do something else so she can spend as much time as she likes without me chafing on the sidewalk. One Christmas she gave me a present - a denim shirt from Last flight Out which she picked up on one of these secert shopping missions. It has the emblem embroidered above the pocket and it's my favorite shirt. I try to stop there each visit to see if there is something I need, but it's a pleasure just being in the shop.

Pjk

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thanks Seabus

PJK, you are right. I have a hat, I think, and had a shirt for a long time, but the shop is a pleasure just to visit; it's a great place to hang.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thanks Seabus

And thanks, Seabus, for reposting. That story does indeed sum up the "Key West state of mind," or at least how I like to think of it.

Get answers to your questions about Key West