We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lionfish update?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
24 reviews
Lionfish update?

According to KeysNews.com, "A recently released study of lionfish in the Florida Keys paints a bleak picture, as their population has increased sixfold in the course of a year."

Just wondering if any of the restaurants in Key West have started serving lionfish yet to help alleviate the over-population of this very predatory species. I know some restaurants on the mainland are serving it and it's reportedly very good, but I don't go to the mainland very often, and I'd really like to try it. Just wondering.....

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
65 reviews
1. Re: Lionfish update?

Wednesdays at the Square Grouper, Cudjoe Key. New special is deep fried lionfish. I've never had it but if it's like anything else they serve it should be delicious.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
32,132 posts
75 reviews
2. Re: Lionfish update?

There's more'n one way to skin a Lionfish...

www.fla-keys.com/news/news.cfm?sid=8419

Pjk

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
13,585 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Lionfish update?

Several places outside of kw are. The problem is you have to jump in to get them. Can't just rig up a line.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Lionfish update?

Restaurants Serving Lionfish

Lazy Days Restaurant in Islamorada, FL

Key Largo Conch House in Key Largo, FL

Fish House Encore in Key Largo, FL

Fleet Landing Restaurant in Charleston, SC

Michael's Genuine Food and Drink in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands

El Fogon De La Curva in Rincon, Puerto Rico

Divers - bookmark this site to post any lionfish sightings, in case you can't bag them yourselves:

http://www.reef.org/lionfish

The above restaurant list was found there too.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
53 reviews
5. Re: Lionfish update?

Another restaurant to get lion fish outside of Key West is Gynn AK in Akumal Bay MX in the Mayan Riviera. The owner and chef goes to the reef daily to get the lion fish that she serves.

tripadvisor.in/Restaurant_Review-g499445-d17…

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
8 reviews
6. Re: Lionfish update?

Maybe the snorkel charters should stock nets, and local restaurants that routinely "cook what you catch" advertise specials such as half off the "cooking fee"...

Every sunnofa#$%@$ lionfish off the reef, the better.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
32,132 posts
75 reviews
7. Re: Lionfish update?

A few of the captains will get into the water and spear a lionfish or two, just for sport.

Pjk

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,432 posts
48 reviews
8. Re: Lionfish update?

from what I read spearfishing comes with a whole set of regulations. Can't spear in certain areas, near any swimmers, etc.

Nets are easiest, though they will be harder to use to catch any lionfish that are in caves.

I like the new change that now you don't need a fishing license to bag 'em.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,147 posts
97 reviews
9. Re: Lionfish update?

Need some Frogfish to help keep the Lionfish in check as they will eat them, but it would mean introducing another non native species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frogfish

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Lionfish update?

I'm told that stone crab traps also trap lionfish. So you should be seeing more of them on menus soon.

It's really tasty. Kind of like a hogfish. My DH is an avid spearfishman and brings the back frequently. I can report that getting poked by one of the toxic spears brings discomfort but not death.