We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

I just booked our flights into Miami and I'm getting super excited! Now all I have to do is call tomorrow and book our room. We have started looking at all there is to do, but we wanted to know what are the things that we just can't miss. We want to stay busy most of the time.

Also, could you please suggest restaurants that we should try while we are there. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Bien
$, Latin, Fusion, Caribbean
La Grignote
$$ - $$$, French, Cafe
Keys Coffee Co.
$, American, Cafe, Healthy
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,191 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

The one thing to start with and to book early is the Sebago Island T'ing, an all-day trip on the catamaran Sebago with a small beakfast, a snorkel stop, a good lunch, then a kayak trip around a mangrove island. It goes out about 10:00 and comes in at 4:00, costs approx 75.00 / person (with tax) and is worth it. They only take 40 people so you usually cannot just walk up and book for that day, and they only go out on certan days. Check their web page for more info and a description. If you really like this type of trip, also look into the Danger Charters.

Then, IMO, do any of the other combination snorkel, sunset sails. I am going out on the Caribbena Spirit in May but the Fury is also good. Getting out on the water is a highlight of a Key West vacation.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Sebago Key West
Sebago Key West
3,523 Reviews
Key West, FL
Danger Charters
Danger Charters
4,233 Reviews
Key West, FL
Springfield...
Level Contributor
643 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

The sunset celebration at Mallory Square. Get there early and enjoy the entertainment.

Once, go to the top of the LaConcha hotel, buy a drink, and go outside and watch the sunset from there.

Schooner Wharf Bar for Michael McCloud in the early afternoon...just not on Monday. Pete & Wayne's REALLY dirty, but hilarious show at Sloppy Joe's (Weds-Sat, 5:30-9:30) as well as the always quirky Capt. Tony's just a half block south, Hog's Breath Saloon (better than no breath at all) and evening music.

Food? This has been beaten to death..but for me, I like a Cuban Mix sandwich for lunch at El Siboney (Margaret & Catherine) for about $6.

Into history? Check out the memorial to the Maine (remember the Maine?) in the Key West Cemetery. Enter from Margaret (come in from Southard) and look for the flagpole ahead on the right.

Key West is not known for its fine beaches. However, the beach at Fort Zachary Taylor (follow Southard...it's one-way) is a very nice beach and there's a place to buy light lunch and soft drinks. Smathers beach is a longer beach and close to the airport. It has vendors, jet ski rental, parasail, lounge chair rental, etc.

Those are some ideas. But don't miss the sunset.

Have fun...our paths will cross. I'm there 5/30-6/5.

Mentioned in this post
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
12,078 Reviews
Key West, FL
Schooner Wharf Bar
Schooner Wharf Bar
2,256 Reviews
Key West, FL
Hog's Breath Saloon
Hog's Breath Saloon
2,109 Reviews
Key West, FL
El Siboney Restaurant
El Siboney Restaurant
3,978 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West Cemetery
Key West Cemetery
1,219 Reviews
Key West, FL
Newark, DE
Level Contributor
217 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

I second the Seabago Island T'ing. It is so much fun and a very good deal!

Try something new! Something you can't get back home Maybe that's a new beer or menu item you've never tried before...give it a whirl. I discovered I love Cuban food..something I can't get in Delaware.

Also, I took the advise of another poster who wrote, "Talk to the locals." I did, but it wasn't easy because I'm a shy person. And you know what? I met some of the neatest people! I met a little 'ole wino who offered to take a pic of my husband and I in front of the Southernmost Point buoy (I gave him a pin and a peck on the cheek, The smile on his face was worth a million!)

I met tons of internationals each with an interesting story of how they came to work in Key West. I met some nurses from Iowa and we had the nicest time chatting about our jobs. But mostly I discovered folks in Key West are just really laid back and very friendly. They're helpful and kind.

One restaurant I don't see chatted up is Sarabeth's. Excellent food and excellent service. Moderate prices.

By the way, the Miami airport is lovely...I hope you have few minutes to explore it!

Mentioned in this post
Southernmost Point
Southernmost Point
9,081 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Sarabeth's Key West
Sarabeth's Key West
1,848 Reviews
Key West, FL
Springfield...
Level Contributor
643 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

Here's a link to Sarabeth's menu:

http://www.sarabethskeywest.com/

Personally, I wouldn't find a burger and fries for dinner at $12.75, or "just a little salad" at $6.50 moderately priced, but I guess it's what you're used to.

What I've heard is good. I've walked past a lot (stay at a condo on Southard) and it's usually busy.

Mentioned in this post
Sarabeth's Key West
Sarabeth's Key West
1,848 Reviews
Key West, FL
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
343 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

The first thing you should do when you are all settled in is take the Conch Tour Train for a tour of Key West. Yes, it's touristy, but it really is FUN and gives you a very good visual and historical overview of the island. You get to see all the beautiful architecture too, which is a real treat. It's a good way to start off your visit.

http://www.conchtourtrain.com/

Mentioned in this post
Conch Tour Train
Conch Tour Train
1,641 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,191 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

Places not to miss are...

Kellys on Whitehead for margueritas.

Pepes on Caroline for breakfast or dinner

B.O.'s Fishwagon for fish sandwiches and a Corona (a band on Fri & Sat night)

Blue Heaven for breakfast, lunch or dinner, but crowded on weekends

Banana Cafe on Duval for breakfast.

Crabby Bills on Greene for oysters (cheap)

Almost any of the places on the Bight...

Half-Shell Raw Bar for peel-your-own-shrimp and a Key West Sunset Ale

Turtle Kraals for breakfast.

Conch Republic Seafood Co. for a fish sandwich.

There's no end.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Caroline's Cafe
Caroline's Cafe
5,818 Reviews
Key West, FL
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,221 Reviews
Key West, FL
Banana Cafe
Banana Cafe
3,245 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
767 Reviews
Key West, FL
Half Shell Raw Bar
Half Shell Raw Bar
2,206 Reviews
Key West, FL
Turtle Kraals
Turtle Kraals
1,545 Reviews
Key West, FL
Conch Republic Seafood
Conch Republic Seafood
5,129 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

...and on top of all these great suggestions, there's hundreds of other neat little places to explore! You'll never be wondering 'What to do' here in Key West... The toughest thing is usually 'What should we do' follwoed up by 'How many more trips will it take to do it all'.... Followed by 'Screw it! Let's approach it like we eating an elephant.... One bite at a time'!

Everyone should have thier first trip to Key West because after that, there'll never be a last trip!

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
WV
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

Extremely well spoken (written), Seabus!

You express Key West, perfectly....

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

Seabus is right

Well, here is my list,

A sunset boat cruise. All of them are nice. Just pick one in your budget

Hogs breath for some havanna hog punch

Fogerty's to share an appetizer and an entree with your friend and drink amazing frozen drinks from the flying monkey bar that is also in their resturant. Please stop in, you won't regret it.

Conch republic to eat on the water and get a pan seared fish sandwich. Don't spend the money on all the other big entrees. The sandwich is huge.

Lobo's on southard for lunch. Great little wrap place for cheap.

Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Will be in Key West June 4-9 ... what are the "must"?

My husband and I just got back and the best thing we did was so simple-we rented some bikes ($12 from our hotel) and rode around checking everything out. At first we started off walking, but after two days of sweating and hardly leaving Duval St. we rented some bikes. Fabulous choice. We got to find everything we were looking for (hemingways house, the southernmost point, mallory square etc) and all the other side streets gave a better understanding of key west than just Duval!! We also went on a sunset snorkeling cruise which was fun. We loved dinner at Louie's Backyard our first night-right on the water. And, I know its touristy, but we really did have the best cheeseburger at Margaritaville-definetly a cheeseburger in paradise with a few margarita's to wash it down! Have fun, and trust me-you will never see/do/eat it all-we can't wait to go back!

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
767 Reviews
Key West, FL
Louie's Backyard
Louie's Backyard
3,350 Reviews
Key West, FL