We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

I know the trip just started, but my wife sleeps late and no way I will remember 9 days worth, so I will update this thread as it goes.

Loooong day, we were up at 3:00 AM Saturday for our 6:15 flight out of Philly. No issues with our AA flight, left on time and the seats stayed put. Landed in Miami at 9:00 picked up our rental and was headed south on Floridas Turnpike at 10:00. We were going to fly to Key West but a flight change left us with a 3 hour layaway, so I rebooked to Miami and saved $300 on the fare.

We like the drive, stopped for lunch at the bar overlooking the Whale Harbor Marina. Fish Tacos and Blackened Tilapia sandwich were tasty and fresh and the bartender was very friendly. Back in our car and arrived at the Doubletree at 2:30.

This trip started with the Pier House, moved to the Best Western Hibiscus which was half the price, and landed at the DT which was more than the BWH but a nicer property that extends me Hilton points and VIP benefits.

We were greeted by the always friendly staff, and after a 5 minute wait were headed to our room which is a decent size and has a small balcony overlooking the pool and the steel drum player entertaining the crowd. Unpacked and took the 4:00 shuttle to Duvall. Big crowd for the shuttle but a staff member announced a 20 person shuttle would be followed directly by a 20 person shuttle. If that wasn't enough he would jump in the 10 person shuttle and if that wasn't enough the rest of us would be walking (there were less than 40 people).

We hit Alonzo's first, key lime oysters and beer shrimp were great as always. I think we have a winner here for best mojito and the dark and stormys were straight out of Bermuda. Watched the bartender make 15 key lime martinis in a row, she must have made 100 drinks in an hour. Off to Conch Republic where we watched a downpour move right across the harbor sending the outside diners running for cover. We met two nice couples and a batchelorette party, and saw a wedding party. For off season the island is jumping and our hotel is fully booked.

The theme of the week is try new places, we made a list in the car on the way down. We always walk by the White Tarpon, so we ducked in for a couple of Key Lime Martinis. Good but not really my kind of drink. Grabbed a couple of six packs and sandwiches at the deli and just made the 8:15 shuttle back to the hotelwhere we ate and crashed.

Football and the early show at the Green Parrot are on the agenda for today. For Treme fans a musician who was on and produced a show is on the bill tonight.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,234 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

I'm confused...if you were at the Pier House, what was the shuttle to Duval?

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
768 Reviews
Key West, FL
South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

Sorry for the confusion, I booked it then cancelled due to both the BWH and DT being less money. BWH would have been $100 less per night and DT is $75 less per night. Figured that pays for a lot of beer and shrimp.

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,356 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

Thanks for reporting in! Sounds like a great start to your vacation!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,243 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

We are the other way round- I am up the up and early one, and he is the lay in bed type ;-)

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

Thanks for the intrip report. Try the Seaside Deli by the DT, they have beer and a large wine selection, easy walk tho the hotel! Have fun!

ontario, canada
Level Contributor
421 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

Sounds like the beginnings of a great trip. Can't wait to read the rest : )

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

"Football and the early show at the Green Parrot are on the agenda for today. "

Enjoy your trip and the DT cookies :) I'm assuming from your home town that you're watching the Giants, but one can't really assume these things. Currently it's a 17-17 tie. GO GIANTS!

Grand Rapids mi
Destination Expert
for South Haven
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

keep em coming !!!

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 10/6 - 10/14

Day 2 was a little hard on the liver. Grabbed breakfast at the DT, decent buffet which is comped for us, nice to sit outside on the patio overlooking the pool. Took the 11:00 shuttle and walked over to the SWB for the AM happy hour and Michael McCloud and the SWB dog. My wife attracts people like a magnet and immediately makes friends with the couple next to us and we agree to meet at the Rum Barrel for the Eagles game (the husband was born in Philly like my wife, I am a Giants fan). RB is packed and the roof was closed, so we tell them we are going to look for a bar with seats. After a quick stop at Emeralds International to see Bill our favorite jeweler and get our rings cleaned we land bar stools at the Hog which has the game on. My wife makes friends with a couple camping at Boyds, I chat with a guy who rode his bike from PA. Stephanie has been serving us for 10 years now (we are "day drinkers" as she would say) and no trip is official without her. After some Coronas and oysters (and sad ending for Eagles fans) we head to the Green Parrott.

Oops, the Treme guy is next weekend but the soundcheck set is a decent blues band who mixed covers and their own music. The female singer came over before the set and struck up a conversation with my wife, who then joins in with a bachelorette party on the dance floor.

We walked around the corner to Salsa Loco which we haven't been to before. Bartender was very friendly but we were underwhelmed by the food. Salsa tased like it came from a jar and the quesadilla looked plain and sad. My grilled combo entree which we shared was ok but standard Tex-Mex.

Caught the shuttle at upper Duval Street, the shuttle driver was very entertaining pointing out every point of interest you may not know about like the house made of coral, and mixing it with KW history spiels about Wilma and the Beatles.

Thanks for the deli tip, we will check it out. Yes the cookies are still delicious.

Mentioned in this post
Boyd's Key West Campground
Boyd's Key West...
450 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Street
Duval Street
11,586 Reviews
Key West, FL
mohrsville
Level Contributor
1,486 posts