We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami-area stay questions

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Miami-area stay questions

Hi,

We're an active, healthy couple nearing retirement age. We're from L.A. and have never visited south Florida. We'd like to be somewhere interesting, where you can walk to restaurants, but not in a loud party scene. The Everglades and maybe the Keys are also on the agenda.

We like vacation rentals as well as hotels, with beach access as a real plus. Free parking and free wifi, please.

Any suggestions? And by the way, is there snorkeling in SoFL and where? This trip will probably happen in early December or January.

Thanks.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami-area stay questions

I'd suggest looking into Marco Island or any small town on the west coast - they tend to be a little quieter. We love Marco because its small & friendly, has great beaches, and is close enough to the Everglades & Keys that we can take a day trip if we want. You won't get good snorkeling in Marco, but you can take a trip to the Keys to get a taste of that!

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami-area stay questions

Being from L.A. I'd suggest at least a short stop in Miami Beach or South Beach as it's really a must-see, with the wonderful art deco hotels. It's very close to MIA.

There's tons of snorkeling in the Keys, with many dive outlets and boats starting in Key Largo. In SoBe, no so much.

You will almost always get free parking in the Keys outside of Key West. But be warned that the beaches in the Keys, especially those in front of hotels, are small, often man-made.

In Key West, especially in Old Town, where you can walk to everything, most folks just park the car once and leave it. You can find Wifi in most places but most reviews will say that the coverage isn't perfect.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami-area stay questions

Hotel BW Oceanfront resort in Surfside (see my reviews) would exactly be what you are looking for, right on the beach, just across from a Publx and different nice restaurants, each unit with a kitchen and the hotel offers free parking (exception in the area) and free reliable internet and does not charge a resort fee (exception as well). We love it there for the start and end of our holidays. It's close to good shopping and if you want the party scene there is public transport to SoBe, so you dont have the hassle of looking for (expensive) parking.

For snorkling, go to Key Largo (Pennekamp Reef). Vacation rentals in the Keys (and many also in the greater Miami area) are for a week or even a month, depending on the permit the owners have to rent out. If you are looking for something to stay for only a few days, have a look at the Ragged Edge Resort in Islamorada (also here, see my reviews), with efficiencies and a clean (not modern, but cozy) place. No great beaches in the Keys hoever, more the place for fishing.

St. Moritz...
Destination Expert
for St. Moritz, Engadin St. Moritz
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Miami-area stay questions

Correction to my above post: apparently after a management change the Best Western Oceanfront Resort has declined in quality (dirty and cockroaches) according to the latest reviews. And they started to charge a horrendously expensive parking fee of USD20.00 a day now. I confirmed this with reception.

5. Re: Miami-area stay questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 pm, December 14, 2013