We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

Holly Springs...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

So my wife and I will be in KW in almost a week from now (10/9-10/13). This is our first trip there together, and our 10 year anniverary, and our first trip away from our daughters, so you can imagine we want to make this memorable.

We are in the midst of putting an itinerary "outline" together and are trying to decide on some water activity.

We know we would like to do a snorkle trip, and maybe some kayaking too. We would also like to do a sunset cruise as well. Looking at some of the pricing doing both separately can get expensive. Should we look to combine as one voyage?

Either way I would prefer to be on a smaller boat and be under sail the majority of the time.

One trip that seems to have most of what we want (minus the smaller boat part) is Fury's Island Adventure which has snorkeling, kayaking, "sand bar-ing", and then being able to watch the sunset as we head back.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Mainly, is it worth it to do 2 separate trips, or just do it all in one. FWIW - we will be in KW for only 4 nights.

Thanks!

Sebago Key West
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Parasailing & Paragliding, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours
Honest Eco
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Kayaking & Canoeing
Key West Eco Tours
Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Scuba & Snorkeling, Eco Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

Then you went on a different boat with a different captain, one who's contract with Sebago wasn't renewed.

The combination snorkel / sunset sails tend to leave late in the afternoon and the sun's rays are at an angel and the vizibility can be affected. There are good combos, but neither the snorkeling part is as good as other trips, and the sunset sail part is just that - a sunset. If you want music or food, then another trip is better.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Sebago Key West
Sebago Key West
3,460 Reviews
Key West, FL
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,394 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

Well, as I said, I will try it again this weekend. However, Sebago's staffing issues are really not my concern. I paid the full price for the sail and should have gotten the full experience promised. We will see how this weekend goes.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,434 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

Sebago has had online specials with a free sunset cruise when you book the Island T'ing. They also gave me the same deal when I walked up to their booth and inquired if it was available.

Mentioned in this post
Sebago Key West
Sebago Key West
3,460 Reviews
Key West, FL
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

They have discounts for booking at least 24 hours in advance but will give it to you if asked even on a walk-up. You may not see them, but the two owners are there every morning making sure that things go smoothly.

Pjk

Williamsville, New...
Level Contributor
545 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

If you are splitting the two trips, I would go with Clearly Unique. We have used them before & swear by their trip. Very laid back, fun, & informative. You can't beat kayaking around a mangrove island 15 miles from shore in a (plexi)glass kayak with sharks & rays inches below you.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

I've been interested in Clearly Unique. I see that you can use their equipment to snorkel during the trip.

Is the water usually warm enough in December to snorkel without a wet suit?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

For smaller sunset cruises, I concur with the already-mentioned Danger Wind & Wine. We went for the first time this past Sunday evening and enjoyed the good wine and cheeses. I also like Schooner Western Union but it carries a larger group and the wine not so good.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

FWIW I needed a wetsuit when snorkeling in November. Many of the snorkeling companies will wet you one and danger provides them on their trips.

Pjk

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

Seawolf:

if you only have 4 nights there you may want to do them together and leave time for other activities.

It sounds like the two together may be a great way to go.

But the Wind and Wine sunset sail just sounds relaxing to do it alone, so I guess its a matter of how much time you want to spend and what you want out of it. And budget too.

Let me know if you take the wind and wine sail, I will be taking it in Dec.

Have a great anniversary

Holly Springs...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Snorkle/Kayak Trip & Sunset Cruise question

Taking some of the advice here, and doing some research, I really like what Danger has to offer. I think we may end up doing the full day Snorkle/Kayak trip and then do the Sunset Cruise on another night. I found a coupon for 20% off if I book both, and it seems like a great deal. The more I think about it, I think 2 separate trips will be fun and more relaxing. I think it will be time and money well spent.

Get answers to your questions about Key West