We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Meredith, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

My husband and I will be driving our trailer to Florida this winter and would like to visit Key West. We are debating between driving the entire way or leaving the trailer in Marco Island and taking the hydrofoil. Obviously the boat trip is much shorter and faster, while the drive would save money and be scenic.

How difficult would the drive be towing a trailer? Are there tolls?Are campsites scarce in the Keys? Would it be a much nicer trip if we saw many Keys, rather than just a couple?

Once we get there, we'd like to snorkel and enjoy the laid back beach scene. We're not into night life or shopping. Would we need a car? Thanks for your help!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

www.sunpass.com click on Full Site, that should help you with the tolls.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,681 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

See if you can find campsites first. They book way out in the Keys and Key West.

The amount of trailers and RV's traveling on US1 = it can't be difficult. You don't have to worry about hair pin turns and such - fairly straight road. Mostly one lane but wide enough.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,522 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

it sounds like you'd enjoy the trip down the Keys, with stops at several different campgrounds.

I wouldn't want to navigate the streets of Old Town with a trailer, but there are plenty of places outside, in New Town that are not only easy to get to but that have parking.

Old Town is much more a nightlife/ shopping zone than anywhere else in the Keys.

Spring Tx
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

definately drive down but like others have said plan a reservation on an RV place before heading out dont want to drive around KW in an RV very tight roads...also allow all day for ur drive its only 160 miles fm miami but allow stops in key largo /marathon and islamorada to sight see...lived in KW 4 yrs and loved it...

enjoy...oh yes got to plug BO's fish wagon get the grouper sandwich :-))

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

Here's another perspective. The drive is beautiful. Campgrounds are expensive and difficult to book on short notice. Leave the trailer on Marco Island and drive down without it. The difference in the fuel cost will just about cover the difference in campground vs B&B and you will be able to stay right in Old Town where everything is close enough to walk to. You can stay out late, have a drink or two and still not have to worry about getting a ticket.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
45,954 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

I like the idea in post 5, leave the trailer and do the drive. It is pretty scenic, and fun places to stop.

But if you do decide to take the KW express, do remember it is foot pax only so you won't have a car once there (unless you rented one).

Edited: 6:40 am, October 01, 2012
Virginia
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

As someone who has camped in lots of places, my first choice would be what RM-MN said, leave the camper and save the extra tolls & gas money. There's nothing like staying in Old Town and walking everywhere you want to go. But if you really want to camp in the keys, reserve midway down and reserve early! I wouldn't camp on KW, I'd rather camp where there's more room and do day trips.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

Book soon, if taking the trailer down. Campgrounds start taking reservations up to 11 months in advance. I know Pennykamp Park & Bahia Honda fill up very early. There is a KOA I think on Sugarloaf key that is not a far drive to Key West. I believe Long Key and Big Pine also have a campground or 2. As others have said it may be simpler to leave the trailer on the gulf coast and then you could spend a couple nights Key West and a couple nights in the upper keys to get the whole keys experience.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

There is a campground, Boyds, right out side Key West on Stock Island. This also books well in advance.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we drive to Key West or take the hydrofoil?

You may want to check with the Key West Express. From what I understand they have "suspended operations". (also it's not a hydofoil just a regular ferry)

If you choose to drive down let me know I can give you directions for the most direct route that does not involve any tolls.

Bonez