We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Curious - Living in Key West?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
343 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Curious - Living in Key West?

Just curious...

How is anyone able to AFFORD to live in Key West? I was checking out real estate listings on realtor.com - HOLY MOLY!

So really - how can anyone afford to live there? Do you rent? (I imagine the rents are sky-high too). Have a super high-paying job? Did you win the lottery?

Just wondering how people make it happen.

Cheektowaga, New...
Level Contributor
347 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

I inquired with some locals when I was there about this. A girl at our guest house laughed and said well, we share a place with four other people and she works three jobs.

And then added since she was young she didn't care because her and her husband are fortunate enough to be able to live there for a few years anyway.

What blew me away was seeing so many houses that would be $110,000 at home going for a mere $1,200,000 on the island. Just not something I can come to grips with.

2. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:21 am, June 14, 2012
Framingham...
Level Contributor
209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

from what i've heard from locals, most only have a scooter. rather than having two car payments and insurance etc. three bedroom apt. will cost you about $1500. talked to several people who've been here less than a month and all have said if you can show up for work more than to days in a row you're considered a reliable employee.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

To live in KW being rich would be a bonus. Some folks have lived there for years and got in when prices were not sky high. Others do rent and have to sometimes have many roommates just to be able to afford it. While others do own their own place but have to work 3 jobs just to make it.

There is a book out that talks about moving to KW but I can't remember the name --someone else will I'm sure. It would be a dream of I'll bet 95% of the people on this forum to move there but many of us realize it just isn't gonna happen.

keysnews.com has a section under "columns" where a broker writes a column. The latest piece does say if you're planing on moving/buying a place in KW now is the time. Prices of homes compared to last year have dropped alot.

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

The book is called "Quit Your Job and Move to Key West." It's more of a tourist guide than anything else, but it's brutally honest and funny. I own it and love it (and live it)! I could have stayed in Charlotte and shot up the corporate ladder of BofA. My friends back home all own houses/condos and have tons of disposable income. I don't. I chose this instead and I haven't regretted it for one minute.

As I hinted at before, the trick is to be smart with your money. Don't get too caught up in the party scene. Be a dependable employee, in whatever your field is. My fiance and I communicate daily about $ so that we make sure we have everything we need when we need it. It's just part of the reality. But, neither of us is working multiple jobs just to survive because we do communicate like that.

I wouldn't trade this life for anything... I love "my" house, I love my job, I love my fiance, I love this island...

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,976 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

Sm - Where is your establishment? I want to drop by sometime in May and say hello.

I have a friend who has solved this problem. He actually lives on a boat but up in Florida somewhere. He sails down to various keys once in a while and I keep threatening to visit him sometime. We have plans to meet up in Spain. (I thought I had a photo somewhere)

http://www.geocities.com/bobsbooks_2000/

http://www.geocities.com/rfbphotoart/

It's curious how we now use the term "friend" now. People we have never met.

Pjk

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

Pjk - drop me a line at shannonk@keysbank.com

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,976 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

Sm - double check that address. It bounced.

thanks

Pjk

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

It's correct... hmmmm... try it again?

Key West, FL
Level Contributor
813 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Curious - Living in Key West?

Pjk - Our email system is having PMS. Try it a little later...