We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First drink?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
central jersey
2 posts
Save Topic
First drink?

OK so where do I want to stop for my first drink in KW and what should it be? Will be there May 1-5. Only 28 more days and I cant stop daydreaming.

Framingham...
Level Contributor
209 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First drink?

Ummmmm let me see..... how about Hogs Breath?

We always seem to hit that place first for key lime shooters, then drag our asses up and down Duval until we can't stand anymore!!

;)

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First drink?

ruby roo at the flying monkey (burbon and 151 in that one... yummy and potent)

The punch at hogs breath does exactly that. knocks you out.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First drink?

We're talk'in first drink here not the last... Gotta keep it in perspective.

Flying in? The Conch Flyer at the airport.

Driving in? The very first place once offically on the island of Key West would be the Hilton on your right.

Coming in on the ferry from Ft. Myers? I'd have to measure the distance but I'm think'in it would be P.T's 1/2 block from the terminal.

Seeing a theme here? You're first drink should be at the first possible place. After that, the pressure is off! :-)

Have a ball finding your favorite place... It'd probably be different from mine or seminolegirl's or pjk's or flatop's or cruisemom's etc.

Once you've gotten a bit of walk'in experience in Key West, make sure your LAST drink is at someplace special for you. It'll carry you through til your next trip. On your second trip here, go to the place of your LAST drink FIRST and just pick up where you left off! (Everybody needs a first trip to Key West cause after that, you'll never have your last!)

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First drink?

When I got down last year I took a walk around to see what had changed but purposely ended up at the Half Shell Raw Bar. I had looked forward to a half pound of shrimp and two Key West Sunset Ales. This was all I could think about on the way down.

I sometimes have a Sam Adams in the airport in Florida during the stop-over.

Pjk

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First drink?

This year we are going to try and meet with Deanrae so we will have what ever is at Billy's (or what ever the Bar is called) a "Squishy". What ever it is we cannot wait to have it.

PJ

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
160 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First drink?

Well, our first official drink will be in our hotel room because they are putting chilled champagne and wedding cake in the room for our anniversary! I suppose we could go the conch flyer after we fly in though!

After that, I thought either (a) going to Fat Tuesdays as our first official drink on Duval, or (b) finding some outdoor place for dinner and drinks.

We're staying at the Heron House, by the way!

16 days and counting!

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First drink?

We stayed at Heron House 2 years ago loved it.

PJ

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: First drink?

I can't believe no one said go to Cpt. Tony's for a Pirates Punch. It is the BEST and you get a sounveir cup.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First drink?

Not sure if I'm going to make it all the way to Key West for my first vacation drink this time! :) We'll probably stop for lunch somewhere in the upper Keys on our way down, and I may just have my first (and second -- I'm not the one driving!) drink there. (Can you tell I need a vacation??) My first drink in Key West will be wherever we end up for happy hour after we unload the car at the condo. So many choices! :)

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First drink?

Head to Duval Beach Club, take off shoes, walk in the ocean, scream, "IT'S GOOD TO BE HOME!", then head to the bar for citron lemonade. Then attempt to have a "first drink" at every other bar on the island.