We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip?

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
day trip?

We will be staying in Ft. Lauderdale the week of July 4. I hear its about a 3 hour drive to Key West. I really want to see the sunset from Mallory Square. Will have 2 teen sons along. What should we try to see in a days time and what restuarants would be best for lunch and dinner? Also is there public parking?

Thanks!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,641 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip?

The trip is closer to 4 hours from Ft Lauderdale. There is public parking. In fact there is one of the lots next to Mallory Square.

I don't know if I'd go down for a day. Especially a holiday weekend. The traffic will be N-A-S-T-Y !!!!!

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip?

Make that at least 4 1/2 hours. We've driven between Miami and Key West any number of times and it always seems to take 4 hours. When you consider that holiday traffic is lots worse than normal traffic (which can be nightmarish with a wreck), I can't imagine trying for a day trip down. Now if you'd want to spend a night, that would be another story!

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip?

where would be a good place to stay the night? Also where to eat with 2 teen sons? Since I will be that close, I don't want to miss the sights of Key West. Thanks for the tips.

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip?

Probably best not to stay in Key West itself, but on one of the upper Keys like Marathon or Islamorada. Reading "between your lines", apart from the sunset, I think you will be a little disappointed with Key West. Remember there are no beaches to speak of - it is more a place for scuba diving and snorkeling, and of course Hemmingway's house. And I suppose you can say you were at the southern-most point of the USA.

And as other have pointed out it will be crowded that week.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip?

beach traffic around Ft lauderdale on weekends is bad, let a lone holiday weekends. Just getting out of the ft lauderdale miami area will be very very trying. It will take you at least five hours. At night in the keys you have to drive very slow (35 mph) so coming home it will take you longer. I wouldn't go for the day. Key west is addictive you will want to stay more.

PS a tip about ft lauderdale. if you are not staying directly on the beach, I suggest leaving before 3pm or after sunset. anytime in between than you have the majority of beach traffic coming in and the majority of boats coming through. The bridges are horrible to get through.

You are going to have so much fun!

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip?

it depends on what your boys like to eat, and what kind of atmosphere, and expense you want.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip?

Thanks for the tips. We aren't planning on going on a weekend. We will try for a wed.or thurs. My family likes casual dining. I hope to try Blue Heaven and would like to visit the after deck at Louies for a drink. Hope to find a place for one night thats not too expensive since we have the week at Ft. lauderdale paid for. Looking for clean not fancy. We are big Jimmy Buffett fans so we just want to see what we have heard so much about in his songs.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip?

I am like a broken record. But I would like to suggest fogerty's. mainly because an appetizer there is more than enough for any woman to have as her meal and the entrees are an amazing portion and its well priced. They have great frozen drinks there. Also it is only a block away from margaritaville. To top it all off it has outside setting and is set in a huge white house, very key west atmosphere.

St Augustine, FL
Level Contributor
112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip?

On your way down you can stop at Mrs Macs at MM99.4 or The Wooden Spoon at MM 51. At MM 48 the Stuffed Pig. If you want some seafood, turn right ( if going toward KW) at the Stuffed Pig (MM 48) and stop before you get wet! You are at the Keys Fishery. Great food. Have fun!

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip?

Thanks on the tips for food.

Really looking forward tot his trip!

Get answers to your questions about Key West