We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay???????????

Georgia
4 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay???????????

My husband and myself going to Key West in June. We're looking for a nice oceanfront room in a location that has a pool side tiki bar. Afternoon entertainment / music would be great. I don't see a lot of options. What's the best place to stay for this type of atmosphere and be close to some nighttime entertainment, too?

minneapolis
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay???????????

Dewey House or LaMar. You can use the other hotel's pool. There's a bar (Duval Beach Club),it's on the beach, the rooms are very nice. High thread count sheets, breakfast, afternoon tea, etc. Live music? Maybe. We were there when the drummer who played with Santana was there with some other musicians. Got to dance on the sand...But, this is on the "quiet" side of the island-if you want to be closer to the party side, wait for Pjk to give you advice for rooms by the gulf.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,166 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay???????????

I am like a broken record on this - the Pier House. They have a small beach and a great beach-side bar which serves good food. They generally have someone playing and singing during the day, or they tune in Jimmy Buffet's XM radio Station. They also have a good pool and a hot tub, ans ther is a small topless beach. Best rooms, IMO, are the 2nd floor garden view rooms. Ask for one of these specifically, 4420 - 440.

They are at 1 Duval Street within easy walking distance to virtually everythng you will want to see/do/eat/drink.

Look at their web page, but it does not do them justice.

Pjk

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay???????????

I'll add another option - the Ocean Key Resort, which is next to the Pier House. It's been several years since we stayed there but it was wonderful when we did.

Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay???????????

Thanks all for the info. One question for Pjk. Why the garden view rooms? We love an ocean view - but I'm willing to listen.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,166 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay???????????

There are harbor view rooms which 1) seem to get poor reviews and 2) are more expensive. But the view looks to be very nice. One poor review I recall was about almost sharing a veranda - there is only a planter with some greenery between one room's area and the next.

There are sea-view suites but there are exhorbitant.

The garden view rooms overlook the garden, the pool area, and some of their beach. They are fairly large for two people, have a big bathroom, and a small veranda where you can sit in the morning and evening (and hang your wet clothes). They will cost you 255.00 / night plus the 11.5 % room tax, but this includes everything. IMO if you stay on the north side at a hotel, this is a bargain or a least moderate for what you get. (I can give you internet addresses of photos of the room and the view). They don't advertise this but they will give you a .05 % discont for a return visit. You have to ask and maybe carp a little. I have always stayed in one of these rooms and always been satisfied.

But if you just call and book a room you might get one on the other, older side of the hotel. These can be awful. There is a horrible review of a stay at the Pier House on the Tripadvisor hotel list. They stayed at room 190 or 191 which I have noticed and it is within 100 feet of the garden view rooms but 100 % worse.

hth

Pjk

Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay???????????

Thanks! I went to the website and looked at those photos. Everything looks great. If you have photos in addition to what's on their website, I would definitely be interested.

I'm concerned these rooms may not be available as I did a check on the internet. But, once we decide I will call.

The other suggestions look good, too if this doesn't work out. We have friends who are going and staying somewhere on Duval Street. This sounds closer to them - but the whole place is on a small island, so nothing can be very far.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,166 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay???????????

These are a friend of mine's - all 234 of them. Many of the first several pages are of the Pier House, but they were taken pre-Wilma and the grounds are not as lush now. I think most of them have captions. Any of the room would be 424 which is fairly typical of the garden views (except for the one of me asleep) And, yes, they fill up fast.

http://babette.smugmug.com/gallery/588958/1

Pjk

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
343 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay???????????

Dewey and La Mer House are in a nice quiet location and only about a 20 minute walk to the "action". We stayed next door at Southernmost on the Beach (they are all owned by the same entity) and they looked really nice.

Georgia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay???????????

Thanks everyone.

Pjk, thanks for the photos. Looks like fun! A friend TiVo'd some reality BS on Hulk Hogan staying at The Pier House for us and we watched the highlights last night focusing on the hotel. We read the positive and negative reviews. We still like the location best of all, so we're going to give it a try. Although garden view rooms are not available when we will be there - only harbor view - we decided to book there so it's a done deal.

Get answers to your questions about Key West