We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

I've seen "electric vehicles" and golf carts available for rent on Key West. Are they legal on all streets? What is the general opinion on these vehicles? I've seen some that have six seats. I like the bicycle idea better because they are much more maneuverable, but I admit I am slightly tempted.... :(

Boston
Level Contributor
348 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

Bicycles

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

We rented an electric car once while in KW because we had our dog with us and he can't ride a bike yet. The elc car was slow and not a good idea in my opinion. Now, the dog stays at the rental and we rent bikes or we just walk.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

just....please don't. I think they are a road hazard and I promise I won't rent them where you live either :)

Western...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

lol jdjn. and they cost more then renting a car.

PJ

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,507 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

"just....please don't. I think they are a road hazard and I promise I won't rent them where you live either :) "

Ditto. Just today, a family in one of those things evidently wanted to bypass the stop light on the corner of White & Truman. They used the Chevron to cut through and slowly drove between the gas bays, while me and others (who actually wanted to buy gas) waited for them so we could park at a bay. Not a one in that car was looking straight ahead, all heads were turned right towards the front door of the convenience store part of the gas station. Those cars are bad enough when folks are paying attention and, as Judie said, a road hazard.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

were they looking for a deal on the fried chicken?

Denver
Level Contributor
36 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

Don't make fun of me, but we rented one in March. It was a 4-person electric "golf-cart-thing" and it was because my in-laws wanted to see some more of KW and they're not capable of too much walking.

It actually turned out to be a pretty fun day. We avoided the main/busy roads as much as possible. It was about $100 for a half-day (my father-in-law was paying!) and was a real easy way to get around the island.

We didn't have a car in KW, so we would not have been able to get back to Salute! on the Beach, which is one of our favorite places. The food here is under-rated. For a "beach restaurant", Salute! is excellent, IMO.

Good luck w/ the rental. I promise, next time we'll rent bikes ;) - Scot

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,524 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

I see them all over the island and the majority of the people look as though they are having fun, seems real popular, especially with with faimlies. As with everything else I'm sure that there are some careless people, but in my opinion, that goes along with pedestrians, bicycles, and auto's. Traffic can be terrible, and even dangerous, so maybe scope the island out yourself and then decide.

Have a nice time, and let us know how you did.

Shelby Township...
Destination Expert
for Paradise
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

After further review, being fairly able-bodied people, I guess we will rent four bicycles to get around. Thanks, everyone.

10. Re: Electric Vehicles and/or Golf Carts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 am, June 19, 2013