We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Key West Soon!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Key West Soon!

Hi!

I am thinking of visiting Key West over Memorial Day weekend.

My first question is since I will be flying there, what city should I fly into? Do I have to get a flight to FL then to Key West?

Can I get around without a car?

What's the best place to stay and what are the best outdoor activities? I'd love to try snorkeling.

Thank you!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,968 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

I fly in from Newark, New Jersey. When I look on-line for a flight, I start on TRAVELOCITY and just put in from: Newark, to: Key West. There is always a change of planes in Florida, but sometimes it is in Miami, sometimes in Ft. Lauderdale, and sometimes in Tampa. I don't care which, just as long as there is about 60 minutes layover so that me and my bags get there and changed to the smaller plane for the flight to Key West.

Try dong this from whatever airport you plan to fly out of, then see what you get. If you take a very eary flight you should be able to get into Key West in the middle of the day. Both Continental and American fly into Florida with a Gulfstream connection into Key West.

No, no car. But you will probably ave to take a cab into the city. No big deal. The you can start thinking of a place to stay, things to do.

Pjk

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

Lots of choices. You can fly direct into Key West w/a connection through Miami, Orlando or several other cities. Check your carriers for best prices and routes. If you have time and want to drive down A1A and see the scenery and all the Keys, fly into Ft Lauderdale, rent a car and head out. However, be prepared for a 4 hr drive -- actually you may want to pad that somewhat due to it being Memorial Day wknd.

No need for a car in Key West. Pretty much everything is in easy walking distance. If not they have bicycles, scooters, and pedicabs.

Places to stay....too many to list in one post. Check out all the threads here and see what you think. Alot depends on your budget. Try to get something fairly close to Duval in Old Town. Makes it esier to get to all the "hot spots".

If you wanted to make it easier for you, you could contact a travel agent in your area and request their help. No charge for their services!! Research on this site and then make some educated decisions.

Have a WONDERFUL time in Key West. You'll come back again and again!

Karen

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

Thank you for your help!

Forgive my ignorance, are there also nice beaches within walking distance where I can just hang out and sunbathe? ;)

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

Key west has beaches. If you a not a beach regular they will be ok for you. It depends on where you stay as to which one is the closest. Key west is only 4miles by 2 miles. so techically they are all close. or at the very most an easy bike ride.

Maine
Level Contributor
829 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

It's a common question. Yeah, there are beaches, but they're not what you might be thinking of. There's no natural sand in the keys, so there are tiny man-made spots at the larger resorts, and some fabulous public beaches with snorkling right off them. But, they're not the sandy beaches you find in the Caribbean (or coast of Maine for that matter!) It's not a beach destination, but has oh so much more going for it :-)

Enfield, Connecticut
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

My husband and I flew into Miami rented a car and drove to Key West, it took us about 3hours but worth the drive. It is just beautiful, the atlantic on one side and the gulf on the other. You may have have traffic because of memorial day weekend so flying in may be easier but probably more expensive.

You really don't need a car, we walked everywhere. (great exercise) We stayed at the Southermost Hotel and was very pleased with it's service. It is on the quiet end of Duval street and they have a nice beach, and pool.

We went snorkeling, the water was a little murkey, so we couldn't see much coral, but it was still gorgeous. The sailing was great and so were the mates. They serve beer and

wine afterwards for free. The cost was $35.00 for a 2 1/2 hour trip.

Have a great time we can't wait to go back!

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

It might be a nice compromise to fly into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and take the Key West Shuttle, which runs from both airports to Key West several times a day. That way you could enjoy the scenery without having to do all the driving. I would agree that once you get to KW you shouldn't need a car.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
38,868 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

Here is some shuttle information:

http://www.fla-keys.com/gettinghere.htm#land

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

Southwest flies into Ft. Lauderdale and the just started flying in Ft Myers as well. If I were you... Going from buffalo to there is fairly reasonable. Once you are in Ft. lauderdale you can take a shuttle or bus or in Ft myers they have a ferry boat. I think the boat would be more fun... than sitting on a boring bus. One of them even has gambling on it. All the boats have full bars on them... seems like the way to go. I think it gets you there much faster than a bus. They are running a special if you advance purchase your boat reservations you save 40 dollars! It would only be 79 dollars. You would spending more on renting a car. BUF to RSW(ft myers) Than nice boat ride with amazing views of ocean... (duh) and some cocktails to start you trip with... um no contest.

ohio
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Key West Soon!

my husband and i took the big cat over from ft meyers. It was a good time. Once u get out into the ocean so many miles the bar and slot machines open up. It had 2 floors and movies playing on big screens on both. It took about 3 hours to get to key west.