We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NE Ohio
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

Any advice on the quickest way down to Key West? We hate to drive. Will be flying in to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami from Cleveland. Thanks for any info...

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
4,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

The very quickest is to fly into Key West. If the cost is too much, there are several ground services.

www.betweentheseas.com

www.keyshuttle.com

www.transfloridian.com

You can also rent a car and set up 2 one-way rentals (helps because a car isn't really needed in Key West) or a you can keep the car and (typically) pay for parking over the course of your stay.

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

By the way, the KW airport is a little outdated. Security is a little slower, but I guess that's a good thing since they are doing their jobs. HOWEVER, I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 1 BAG PER PERSON CHECKED ON THE RETURN FLIGHT HOME!!! If you have more than 1 (less a carry-on), it will be flying a separate route home.

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

Thanks for the info! What types of planes fly into Key West Airport? Are they prop planes or larger? I hate to drive, but I hate little planes worse! (:

Winston-Salem, NC
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

Both prop planes and smaller jets. We flew a Delta carrier (Chiquola Airways??) which was a modern jet that carried roughly 45 passengers. Although you feel every little bump in turbulence, it took us less than 2 hrs to fly from Greenville, SC to KW (spent less than $800 for 2 roundtrip tickets).

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,000 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

Yes - generally you take a small Gulfstream, two-prop job that IMO is a lot of fun. As you approach Key West you can pick out the White Street Pier and the Casa Marina, then any cruise ships at the Mallory Docks. It can be bumby but the trip is only between 50 - 60 minutes.

I flew from Fla to Key West on the w/e before Thanksgiving once and they replaced the Gulfstreams with a fairly large, two jet airplane that was smoother. It was a big travel day but I don't know if they do this regularly.

Pjk

NE Ohio
Level Contributor
1,175 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quickest way down?...We hate to drive!

Thanks again!

Get answers to your questions about Key West