We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
atb
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

Going tomorrow for only one night (I know it would be better if we could stay longer!). Trying to decide between driving (5.5 hours?) and taking the key west express boat (3.5 hours). Not normally seasick but am expecting, and I'm afraid the boat will be uncomfortable! Any advice?

The drive sounds like it would be pretty, but if there's traffic, would not want to be in the car for much longer than 6 hours. Is the drive likely to take that long on a Tuesday and Wednesday? Thanks for any insight!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,618 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

You can also fly.

key west
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

take the ferry. You can walk around so it will be much easier for you than sitting in a car. If you do get a little queezy, get out on deck and let the wind hit your face being outside is always much better for seasickness than inside a rocky boat.

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,627 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

Take the car. If you get feeling too cramped or sick you can stop and get out. If it gets too bad you can turn around and go back.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,514 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

a long boat ride, and an even longer car drive. I wouldn't do it for only one night stay.

But if you enjoy boat rides that's probably the better way to go.

Fort Myers Beach...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

Atb, I just wanted to write a short note to you about the Key West Express. First off, I do work for the Express.. As " JDJN9 " pointed out, there are numerous areas that you can sit and move around to. Unlike an airline, you are not restricted to your seat(s). While the gulf can get a bit on the bumpy side, my best suggestion to you, is to check the local weather report, for the day or days that you are looking to travel on. Keeping in mind the the boat is 170' long and has a capacity exceeding 400. So, it does tend to produce a smooth ride.

As to your expecting. You are the one that is best able to decide on what comfort level that you will be acceptable to. Also, parking on Key West is at a premium. If the resort that you are staying does not have onsite parking you may have to pay an additional fee, in order to park somewhere. Additionally, the road to Key West is also a 2 lane road. So, if there are any issues on the road, you may very well get stuck in traffic.

Good luck and we hope that you enjoy your stay in Key West, however you decide to make the journey.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

The flight is 50 minutes. It's a 9 seater Cessna 402-c plane, and runs $119 - $149 one way, but it's easy flying and gets you there in 50 minutes. A passenger even sits right next to the pilot. The airline is really good about changing flights if you want to leave earlier or stay later, or even move around by a day or two with no fees, and they also have no fees for baggage.

I have been on the ferry several times, and it is honestly more like a 4 hour trip. Unless things have changed (which would be for the better!) you need to "check in" at the ferry terminal in KW at about 3 pm, for departure, which is several hours later. Unless things have changed, you board in letter groups, and if the boat is crowded, you may be in an umpleasant seating arrangement on the ride to FMB. Going down from FMB to KW for the day and coming back that same day leaves you in all reality about 4 hours in Key West. The movies that are shown are subtitled because you cannot really hear them because the boat engines create some noise. Tickets are less expensive if you buy them 8 days in advance.

Driving is okay, as long as you do not go down one day and back up the next. That's a bit taxing. I also stay away from driving in the Keys at night. The roads are very narrow, and not so well lit in some places.

And that's all I have to say about that.

7. Re: Ft. Myers beach to key west - drive or key west express?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, February 23, 2013