We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best location to stay at

Windsor
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
The best location to stay at

Ok more questions....is it better to stay near the beach or near Sloppy Joe's, others who have stayed there told us to stay near Sloppy Joe's but I am not sure...i am not sure of the distance are getting around Key West if we were to stay near the beaches.

Are there gay and lesbian focused resorts...my boyfriend and I are hetrosexual and are in no means against it but we may not want to be in the minority, no disrespect intended at all.

Thanks

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best location to stay at

I would definitely recommend staying in Old Town (near Sloppy's). It is not difficult at all to get to the beaches from Old Town. Staying on the Atlantic side (New Town, near Smathers) would be more of a hassle, i.e., to get to and from restaurants and nightlife at night. Plus there is much more charm and choice in Old Town.

There are gay-centric accomodations, but you will find many plenty of places that are straight and gay friendly. No worries!

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best location to stay at

I don't really know why they said to stay near Sloppy Joe's because there are many more fun places to go. As far as staying near a beach then you would want to stay at the southern end of the island..possibly Southern Most on the Beach, lamar and Dewey House or the Casa Marina. Regarding gay only resorts/motels Pearls is the only one that I know of now and that for women only. For some reason most if not all the exclusively gay hotels/resorts have opened their door's to everyone. I guess everyone needs the $$ and it's better/more profitable that way.

Windsor
Level Contributor
60 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best location to stay at

Where are the more fun places to stay..where do you suggest?

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best location to stay at

Our idea of an ideal place to stay is in Old Town, close (but not too close) to Duval and close (but not too close) to Mallory Square, in a quirky guesthouse with a pool. There you are close to the sunset celebration, close to the Bight and close to the genial camaraderie that is Duval after dark. Most, but not all, of the restaurants are not that far away, either. The beaches are not that great, but if you must have salt water, you also have relatively easy access to Ft. Zachery Taylor by foot, bike or car. For the last couple of years we've stayed at Marrero's Guest Mansion which pretty much fits the discription above. It gets its quirky cred because it is reputedly haunted and the pool is clothing optional.

Get answers to your questions about Key West