We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destin versus Panama City

St. Louis
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Destin versus Panama City

I'm interested in a family vacation early summer for the Panhandle. How does Destin rate against Panama City for family with little ones.

Panama City is cheaper, but does that mean its gotten run down? Is Destin too crowded?

What about hurricane damage and repair going on?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Destin versus Panama City

I suggest you ask your question on the Panama City and/or Destin Board.

Cheektowaga, New...
Level Contributor
354 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Destin versus Panama City

Key West is a fantastic place that I will go back to every year.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
182 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Destin versus Panama City

Striek:

My husband and i went to Destin 4 years ago, we loved it so much, we went back following year and brought 3 of our kids. The sand is so clean and white. I hope hurricanes didn't do to much damage. Destin is one our favorite places in Florida. Forget Panama City, my opinion. My husband and I took a day trip driving over and had a nice drive, but, once we hit Panama City all I could say is, Panama City is and has been abused. We felt the town we saw was for spring breakers only. It was nothing my husband or I would be interested in going or taking our family. Just our opinion. Plus stay on the beach in Destin, you won't be sorry. We loved Destin!

Good Luck with your trip.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
256 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Destin versus Panama City

sorry, this question mistakenly got posted here.

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Destin versus Panama City

Striek--I LOVE Panama City Beach!! I like it ALOT better than Destin. There is so much to do and so many good places to eat. The 2 or 3 times I've been to Destin, I found it very boring, little to no nightlife and not alot of choices for things to do at night for the kids. We have 3 girls ages 6-15 and keeping them busy is an important thing! I know you posted this in Key West section by accident but if you would like to contact me personally for more info, please feel free to do so. My email address is

karenpiper@msn.com. My husband and I have been going to PCB almost every year for the last 24 yrs so we've seen the good, the bad and the ugly of the panhandle.

GOOD LUCK!

Karen

Benton, Arkansas
Level Contributor
617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Destin versus Panama City

I have to disagree with Panama City being better... yes, there is probably more to do there if that is your thing. BUT, the beaches in Destin are so beautiful. And the restaurants there are delish! There is great shopping and a nice dock area. There are dolphin crusies and sunset schooner cruises. And there is a water park and a couple of "Fun" park places... we go for the beaches and the food! My husband and I have been going every year for the past 10 or 11 years. We LOVE it and can't wait until someday we can move there!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Destin versus Panama City

I've vacationed in both spots and Panama City has the better beaches by far. We also have vacationed at Orange Beach, AL and it much quieter then both Destin and Panama City. Orange Beach, AL is our family favorite by far.

Benton, Arkansas
Level Contributor
617 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Destin versus Panama City

I guess you can see by these posts... it is all a matter of opinion! :-)

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Destin versus Panama City

Isn't that what makes this country so wonderful! We all like different things and appreciate each other's opinion.

Karen

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
968 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Destin versus Panama City

Being from Bham, Al and growing up going to both spots, Destin is more of a clean, upscale area. Both have lots to do for kids and both have beautiful beaches. Panama City Beach is a huge party place for highschoolers and college kids. Its even been featured on MTV and the Travel Channel as being known for this. Remember "GIRLS GONE WILD". This was taped at PCB. I personally prefer Destin.

There are plenty of night spots for some livliness in Destin; Sky Bar, AJ's, Harry T's.

It is by far not dead as one poster stated.

My husband and I are in our young 40's with a 12 year old and Destin suites us all. There are also great Outlets for any shopping, not to mention plenty of upscale restaurants and just beachside restaurants. Destin has become very crowded though. I will be there in May. It is only a 4 hour drive from BHAM. Good Luck. Either way, you will have fun.