We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

Subject line about says it all... going to KW for 4 days. Should we go to Dry Tortugas? If so, by seaplane or boat? If by seaplane, should we go in the AM (and have an hour before boat people arrive) or go in PM (maybe catch sunset??). If by boat, I assume it will be an all day trip. If by boat, smooth or rough (as I have been seasick before)?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

With only 4 days, I'd suggest you explore what Key West has to offer on this trip. I really enjoyed the trip out and the time at the fort but I'd suggest you save it for another time. Take the money you save and spend it on a snorkel or scuba trip to the reef, a tour of the Shipwreck Historiam, and a few meals in different restaurants. Use the rest of it to explore up the Keys a bit.

Asheville, NC
Level Contributor
420 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

That's a tough one. Key West is a small island. You could see most of it in two days. The Dry Tortugas are almost a once-in-a-lifetime experience. By boat it will take all day. It's not too choppy, the boat is a good size and if you walk around a bit you will be fine. The fort itself is amazing. You feel the history. The beaches are beautiful, the water is amazing. Tons of fish and birds. Dont forget sunblock. I made that mistake and burnt to a crisp.

Look through this website.

vacationkeywest.net/dry-tortugas/transportat…

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

I took the morning plane and right after arriving we all decided to skip the "tour" of the fort. The big boat had arrived and was unloading so we didn't get time to enjoy the place alone.

If I were to do it again I would save up and take the full day plane trip, which would give me plenty of time to explore the fort and for lots of snorkeling.

If money were tight I'd just take the boat. I never felt sick on any of the 2 or 3 boat trips I've taken to the DTs.

As far as "should you go" that's up to you. Read more about the place. If you aren't afriad of lots of sun and like to explore the diving it's a great adventure.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
502 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

We took the 1/2 day sea plane trip and it was a great trip, but not enough time to relax. We felt a bit rushed trying to see the fort and snorkel some. I would go for the day if you can, so that you can take the time to really wander the fort, picnic, enjoy the beach and the water. I think it is a great trip, and a nice break from the crowds in town. Plan it for a day in the middle of your trip and bring hats and lots of sunscreen. I think I would take the boat if you go for the full day (the full day sea plane trip is just a lot of $). Have fun - it's a great trip!

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

We took the PM airplane last November - a bit pricey, but what an experience for the first time. I knew that by boat wasn't an option for the time of year (getting dark early and possible rough water). We were in Key West for 5 days and booked it the day we arrived after we checked the weather. They were almost sold out for our available day. It's breathtaking & fun - would do it again in a hearbeat!

Edited: 1:42 pm, September 15, 2011
Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

I do appreciate everyone's input. Wish I had tons of money so we could seaplane to DT for the day, kick back in KW for a day, then charter with one of the Captain's for a day on the water around KW just snorkeling, beaching on a deserted island, fishing for big fish and watching the sun set while out on the water, and then kick back in KW for the last day. Oh the decisions when working with a budget! :-)

Toledo, Ohio
Level Contributor
185 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

I totally understand the budget thing......this year's airfare is way more expensive than the last few years. Danger Charters is a great snorkel/Kayak trip for an alternative -

8. Re: Visit Dry Tortugas? by plane or boat? AM, PM, or all day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, October 21, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Key West