We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to key west any helpfull tips

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 posts
Save Topic
moving to key west any helpfull tips

hello, i am moving to key west sept. 13 and was wondering if anyone could help me with some info about the place.I have never been and i will be looking for work when i get there.I been working as a union carpenter in las vegas for 6 years and befor that i was living to san diego.But willing to do anything for work.Mostley going to try to get on a boate as a deckhand or anything like that.also will be looking to a room for rent,info and tips would be very helpfull thank you...RYAN

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

Ryan, I hope you are still online as I have a feeling this thread will not last long. Generally this forum is about visiting and not moving to Key West. You may want to start here.

http://keysnews.com/classifieds/0220

If you are coming without a job, I hope you have a sufficient savings.

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

One question: Why on earth would ANYONE move somewhere that they have never been to before? Just my own opinion, but this is NOT a good idea.

Chester County, PA
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

Be prepared to work 2 (or 3) jobs. A lot of people do to get by.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

Yes I do have money and will have a income when I get there.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

Also have no bills but cell phone and got a settlement for 1600 a mouth and don't have a problem working more then one job

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

Good luck! If you are looking for work on a boat, there are plenty in the Keys. Key West has many tourist, year round, but coming from Vegas I guess you are use to that. Again, good luck!

Brandon, Florida
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

I admire your spirit .... good luck.

Las Vegas, Nevada
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

Will it be hard to find work? On a boat or anything really

In the Country, NY
Destination Expert
for Surf City
Level Contributor
3,546 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

No problem, they let anyone work on boats! Just kidding.

Actually this is a travel sight, if you target your questions more towards travel and vacation you will probably have better luck.

There are jobs to be had in Key West, just how hard it will be to get one is up to you and your individual experiences.

Key West
Level Contributor
1,685 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: moving to key west any helpfull tips

As some have said there re lots of boats down here and lots of boats mean lots of boat jobs. Not sure what kind of on the water experience you have or what type of boat you want to work on.(snorkel boat or fishing boat). If you have no experience don't take no for an answer be willing to work for cheep.

Bonez

PS lots of us work on the water not so much to make a fortune but because we love it.

Get answers to your questions about Key West