We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How About This Hotel?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How About This Hotel?

Me and two girlfriends will be traveling to Key West for the first time and this is our first trip without kids in three to four years. When we booked our trip we booked a hotel room at the Radisson on Rosevelt....many who have been there said that even though it's not near Duval street it won't be a problem to travel there and be able to go out every night....Reading some of the posts I now worry about this...we plan to be out every night and don't want to come in til late...will our hotel area restrict us does anyone have any ideas? We leave March 15th.

cincinnati
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How About This Hotel?

roosevelt is quite a walk from the main bars in kw

consider ambrosia house or simonton court

far enough from duval for great privacy, but only a short walk to everything

Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How About This Hotel?

When you add in taxi fares both ways every day, for the same money, you may be able to afford to stay right in town...its more fun to be able to walk everywhere.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
519 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How About This Hotel?

Yea, worry. Change hotels. You can stay in a similar hotel, if you are driving down...at any random exit.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,444 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How About This Hotel?

During our first visit to Key West (in September), we stayed at the Hampton Inn, which is also on Roosevelt, but not quite as far from Duval as the Radisson. During the day, we took the Bone Island Shuttle (about $8 per person per day for unlimited rides). Late at night, we took taxis back to the hotel. It was about $10 or $12 for each taxi ride. It will cost you a little bit more because the Radisson is further away. It was inconvenient, but not the end of the world. Would we do it again? Heck no! (Well, not unless we had free hotel nights we needed to use up.) The next time we visited KW (2 1/2 months later in December), we stayed at the Chelsea House on Truman. We were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go, and it was much more convenient. Next time, I'd like to be even closer to all the action. There are so many hotels, inns and guesthouses in Key West, you should be able to find something much closer to Old Town if you really look. Here is a great interactive map that will show you locations of accommodations, bars, restaurants, etc., and you can see how far away the Radisson really is from all the action.

http://keywestparadise.com/map1.html

Key West is such a wonderful, walkable town, and it's really best enjoyed if your hotel is convenient as well. If I were you, I'd definitely consider cancelling at the Radisson -- but only after finding something closer in.

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How About This Hotel?

waitin4sun -

You're location isn't the end of the world, though it's not as close to the end of US1 as you'll want to be...

I suspect you may have some trouble finding a change of venue at this time, given that you're travelling in six/seven weeks, during high season. It might be worth a try to find a place closer to Duval, the Chelsea House mentioned above would be a great central location. It's always nice to be able to pop back to the room to freshen up, or freshen a drink from the rum bottle in the room. I always find that after a day of walking, drinking, sweating, sweating, drinking and walking, it's great to be able to shower and change clothes.

That being said, the Radisson can be done, I would Bone Island Shuttle down, and cab back if the shuttle isn't running late enough for you.

Either way, you'll have a great time, and will have a better idea of where you want to stay next time - and believe me, there will be a next time.

Salud!