We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft Lauderdale to Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
928 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Ft Lauderdale to Key West

I wouldnt have asked this question before but saw someone say not to get I95 south in Miami to get to US1 - to get on another throughway. Is this the case if driving from Ft Lauderdale?? Thanks!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

Get to the toll road ASAP. Head south on the toll road, you'll be happy you did.

The tolls from FLL are $3 or $4.

You'll hook up with US1 in Florida City, and can't get lost once you're on US1. Just drive until you get there (unless you want to stop)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

Do not underestimate what BuffetGuy said. Do not take I-95 south to the Keys!!! The first time I did it was ignorance, the second time was stupidity, and I made sure that it did NOT happen a third time. This is especially true during rush hours and when weekend rush is heading to South Beach.

Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
519 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

I-95 s*cks. Listen to these fine folks. Get on the Florida Turnpike South. It will spit you out at the beginning of US1.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

Hey I just got back from there. We did FLL to Key West on a thursday evening. We took I-95 south to the Dolphin Expressway (which I never have seen a sign that says dolphin expressway- it says 836) to Florida's Turnpike and then headed south to Hwy 1. I don't know if this is the best way but it was really really fast and the tolls were $2 total. We came back that way as well and it was the same on a monday evening.

Back in september we took a more northerly expressway off of I-95, to the turnpike. The palmetto expressway. It was not only confusing (like a couple of different signs saying "To Key West" that are miles apart) but it cost more and had some traffic problems that day. But if you're in the mood for shopping it's def. the way to get to Sawgrass Mills!

Gallatin, TN
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

Just postd pretty much same comments on another question. We ALWAYS fly into FLL and drive EYW -- cheaper airfare! Have your change ready to go and keep on trucking! It's fantastic. We always crank up a little Buffet just to get us in the mood! :>)

Watch your speed tho!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
928 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

When you leave FLL airport is there something that indicates the toll road?? Sorry for being ignorant but have never done this trip before but really looking forward to it!!

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

When you leave the airport look for 595 East to the toll road. I comes up fairly quickly 3 -5 miles from the airport, and is easy to miss if you're not watching.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,627 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

west west west west not east. You go east you'll hit the ocean in no time.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
928 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

Thanks so much!! Yes, going east at that point would get me to the ocean quicker :)

Manchester New...
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ft Lauderdale to Key West

doing the trip tomorrow myself,it's pretty easy, rather than me typing it all out just go to mapquest and start from Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airportport. And no you definately don't want to take 95