We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B question

north myrtle beach...
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
B&B question

What is the daily or weekly tip do you leave at B&B,s including breakfast, happy hour, and room service cleaning.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
908 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B question

I think it really depends on the level of service provided during your stay, which tends to vary greatly from B&B to B&B. Although, I stayed at one KW B&B recently that suggested 20% of your room bill. Given the higher price of this B&B, I though that was an excessive suggestion for any level of B&B service. Instead of one overall tip, we tend to leave a nice tip for the maids and then tip individuals of the staff separately depending upon how nice and helpful they were during our stay.

Edited: 11:26 am, December 16, 2010
SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B question

I always thought 10% of the total hotel bill was recommended. typically there is an envelope in the room. Of course, no one will turn down more. If someone has been exceptionally nice to you, you might want to slip them something extra.

Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B question

If 10% of the total bill is the norm, I have been woefully undertipping!

Scranton, PA
Level Contributor
240 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B question

I've always assumed that the envelope in the room is for housekeeping only. We've tipped in that respect, but haven't considered leaving a tip for our innkeepers.

Great food for thought...

DW

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B question

I'm absolutely stunned by these replies! I've never stayed at a B&B, but we normally leave around $20 a week at the Galleon in Key West and in a nice hotel in a city we leave somewhere between $5 and $10 a day.

Paying a percentage of the total bill sounds absolutely nuts to me!

north myrtle beach...
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B question

I agree we are staying for 10 nights during Christmas and new Years. Total B&B bill around $2400 plus tip. So 10% would be $240. I have to agree with Susancs. But we want to be fair and leave what is expected if they do a great job, Please help on this

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B question

beach - trust me, this is insane. We own a couple of weeks at the Galleon in the spring, but rent a couple more in the late fall. With the rates we pay to rent, we'd owe $260 (to tip) for a one bedroom unit or $320 (to tip) for a two bedroom unit for a week.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B question

Depending on the accommodation, I tip housekeeping staff between $5 and $10 a day. Anything more is crazy unless there was some special service provided.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B question

When I travel, I try to live by the same rules as when I'm visiting family or friends in their home. Keeping the area picked up makes things easier for everyone.

For us, it doesn't matter if we stay one night or a week, we usually tip $5 a day. And I will start the tip on the first morning they come in to clean. If the room has a deep soaking tub I will leave the bill in the corner of the tub under a small bottle of shampoo. I notice they are very good about replacing the bath products when I acknowledge it must be a challenge for them to crawl into the tub to clean it property.

That, and if we have a small kitchen, I will leave a few dollars near the sink if we are short on time and I don't wash and put away the coffee mugs before housekeeping arrive.

A few times I have had wild flowers places in my room, so at the end of the stay I would tip a bit more as a thank you.

You would be surprised at the level of service you receive by tipping at the start of your stay. Everyone needs to feel appreciated, and I think housekeepers are often forgotten.

Frozen North
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B question

Island Sue,

You are so right that housekeepers are usually forgotten. I work at a hotel, and see this often. When I did my internship I spent time doing all of the housekeeping jobs, and they are the hardest workers and least paid workers in the hotel. Their job in my opinion is also the most important. How good your housekeeping staff is, could make or break your hotel. In this day and age of instant information on the internet, no one wants to read a review about a dirty room.