We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key West in July -- What can we expect?

Southeast Michigan
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Key West in July -- What can we expect?

Hello everyone.

My wife and I are planning a vacation to Key West this July. We plan on staying there for a week, probably the 9th to the 16th, and I was hoping to get some information as to what KW is like in the middle of July? I know that it will be hot, and I know that it's "off-season", but I was wondering about a few things plus I'd just like some input in general.

Some of my questions -

- First, how busy is it in July?

- Just how crazy does the night life get, and are there any actual dance clubs or night clubs?

- Can someone give me a summary of just how "adult" oriented KW is? :)

- We were thinking of either renting a condo at the 1800 Atlantic resort or renting a townhouse/condo downtown. How nice is the private beach and other amneties at 1800 atlantic?

Thanks guys, I'm just looking for a nice summary of what a playful 29 and 30 year old couple can expect. Neither of us are really into drinking, although I might dig in a tad, but we love to party and love clubs and nightlife in general.

Looking forward to the replies!

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key West in July -- What can we expect?

Hi,

We've been in the Keys in July for the past several years. We stayed in Key West one of those times, and did day trips during the other visits. It is terribly hot in Key West in July, I think because there are so many buildings blocking any sea breeze, on the other Keys it feels a good 10+ degrees cooler. Stay near the waterfront as much as possible. The waterfront at Mallory Square, and at the Key West Historic Seaport are pleasant compared to anything in town, off the waterfront. All that being said, the restaurants, bars, and shops down there all have powerful air conditioners, if you get too hot just step inside and cool off. Key West is crowded in July, people everywhere. (the locals say that there is no "off season" there anymore) A good number of people look to be around your age, and many are mid 40's up to retirement age. Some families, too. Yes, things do get crazy there, what appears to a mild mannered, laid back bar during the day, can turn quite wild in the evening, "R" rated, if not "X" rated. (not all places, just some)

Beaches in Key West are not great, very little nice sand, and many have coral rocks that will cut your feet; others are covered in sea grass (sometimes smelling quite awful) We stayed at the Casa Marina Resort years ago and they have a beautiful beach there, still a few coral rocks, but they've brought in lots nice white sand. It is the nicest beach I've seen in Key West. If you'd like a nice beach day, I'd recommend driving up to Bahia Honda State Park, 45 minutes from KW. The beach there is one of the top rated beaches in the country.

Very naturally beautiful, and lots of sand. Go to Sandspur beach in the park, for the best beach. They also provide snorkel trips out to Looe Key the #1 rated coral reef in the Keys. Awesome!

There's lots of people who regularly post on the Keys, I'm sure you'll get much more info. on the accomodations, and nightlife.

Best Wishes!

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Key West in July -- What can we expect?

We avoid Key West from mid-May to mid-October because of the heat and humidity, so I can't add any personal comments tot he above post.

I do have a little cautionary advice about staying at 1800 Atlantic, though. The beauty of Key West is that if you're in a good location, every place you want to go will be within walking distance. 1800 Atlantic is NOT in a convenient location. It's not near restaurants, tourist activities or the sunset celebrations.

You'd be much better off staying closer to the Gulf in Old Town.

As for renting a townhouse/condo in Old Town, be very careful you get one that has a transient license. There's a newly enforced law in Key West that requires owners to have the license in order to rent property for less than 30 days. If the owner of property you rent doesn't have the license, you might find yourself out on the street instead of having fun on your vacation!

Jef
Florida
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key West in July -- What can we expect?

As others have stated 1800 Atlantic isn't the ideal location,but do keep in mind the island is only 4 miles long.

Duval Street is "Party Central" ,there are plenty of ways to get around,driving a car su*ks,very little parking so rent a scooter,trust me you'll have a blast! or you can rent them little electric cars but you still have to park,if you plan on shopping or just people watching and having some drinks...cab it!

It is hot in july,but there's plenty of ways to stay cool.

Check out www.liveduvalstreet.com

Get answers to your questions about Key West