We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orlando to The Keys

Ayr
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Orlando to The Keys

We are planning to drive from Orlando to the Florida Keys in November and would appreciate advice on which route to take.

We will be returning through the everglades en route to Naples and Sanibel Island - so we wondered if it would be quicker driving via another route? We would also like advice on where to stop for an overnight stay en route?

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
137 Reviews
from $145.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from $49.99*
$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
146 Reviews
from $63.00*
Orlando
Level Contributor
11,626 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orlando to The Keys

The Florida Turnpike to Florida City is by far the fastest route although very boring. If I were staying somewhere on the way down, it would be near Ft Lauderdale or the Palm Beaches (Deerfield Beach would be my personal choice). I would check in the Ft Lauderdale forum for more options.

Pittsburgh...
Destination Expert
for Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orlando to The Keys

I second the turnpike. When we made the trip from DH (cheap!) didn't want to pay the tolls so we took 95 down.

Miami traffic was a major PITA, and the stoplights between Miami and Homestead/Florida City added a looooooooong time to the ride.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
49,879 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orlando to The Keys

My advice would be the turnpike and then stay in Key largo. Won't take much more than 5 hours to drive there from orlando- we've driven to Marathon from Orlando via the turnpike and it was under 6 hours.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
17,518 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orlando to The Keys

Take a look at www.mapquest.com to see the route, mileage & approx drive time. The turnpike is the fastes way to go. Leave early in the am as its about 8 hours to Key West, more if you make a few stops on the way. Look at the Florida Keys forum for suggestions on itineraries on the way down. Everyone has their favorite stopping places for lunch, drinks, etc. You will want to leave early enough to be able to make a couple stops on the way & still get to KW in time for sunset.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
12,115 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orlando to The Keys

On your way back, take the Tamiami Trail (Rte41) instead of Alligator Alley (Interstate 75). It is much more scenic with many stops along the way. Check out Clyde Butchers gallery along the way. It makes a nice (air conditioned) stop and is free. His photography is spectacular.

http://www.clydebutcher.com/

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orlando to The Keys

Turnpike and pick up a SunPass to avoid the stopping at the toll booths. You can buy them at many locations.

https://www.sunpass.com/index

Deception Island
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Orlando to The Keys

Just want to second the Sunpass suggestion. It will save you a lot of time over stopping and paying at the toll booths.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orlando to The Keys

Definitely take the Turnpike. We've screwed up a couple times heading down and ended up on 95 and I wouldn't wish that on my enemies.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
644 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orlando to The Keys

Have they changed the rules so you can use the SunPass with a rental car now?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,679 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orlando to The Keys

I've used my SunPass on rentals for 3 years now.