We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway A1A

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
44 posts
8 reviews
2 helpful votes
Highway A1A

Hello,

We are driving from Sebastian to Key West and would like to drive through some portion of Highway A1A.. Which is the must do/most scenic portion of Highway A1A?

Thanks!

Edited: 2:26 pm, November 30, 2009
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,695 posts
23 reviews
22 helpful votes
1. Re: Highway A1A

SKIP A1A. It's nothing but stop signs until you get to Florida City.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
84 reviews
72 helpful votes
2. Re: Highway A1A

You'll have plenty of scenery along Hwy 1 through the keys. A1A before Florida City is not very scenic.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
4,553 posts
30 reviews
15 helpful votes
3. Re: Highway A1A

A1A is what I would call the ocean road that runs along the water om main land Florida. Unles you like to sit in traffic I would say don't take it.

If you were to take A!A down at times you would see the ocean but most of the time you will be looking at the street sine of condos.

You will have a beautiful drive with lots of great views once you get into the Keys.

When you leave Sebastian take the best way to the Turnpike and get on it going south, stay on it until the end and it will put you on Rt.1 south. Stay on Rt. 1 until you hit Key West.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
36 reviews
31 helpful votes
4. Re: Highway A1A

IF you want ot see a good part of A1A - drive the part from Hallendale / North Miami beach through to South Beach - very neat ride. Will take maybe 30 - 45 mins. When you get to the heart of SOBE, ( 3 or 4 blocks after Lincoln rd) look for Ocean Drive on your left and follow it down until you get to the turnpike turn (if you go to far it dead ends a short bit later so you can't go out of your way too much.) This is a neat drive and if you want to see the most photographed and poplular area of Miami you only need to go this short bit. Then jump on the turnpike until it deadends into US1.

It's not that far out of your way and this part is very scenic.

Just a word of warning - do NOT follow US1 aka Dixie Hwy from Miami to the Keys, don't get on US1 until Florida City where the Turnpike ends.

Grand Rapids mi
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
51 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: Highway A1A

listen, listen, listen to the above statements. before i started going to this forum i had the Buffett inspired thought of "driving down the avenue that's known as A1A". Huge mistake. now i (and you) know better. have a great trip!

columbus, in
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
125 reviews
178 helpful votes
6. Re: Highway A1A

Socrog, that is the way I drove the one time I did drive to Key West, too, many years ago. I know I hated the drive and have flown in ever since. Maybe that is why.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
25 reviews
42 helpful votes
7. Re: Highway A1A

I'm with the others, stay off A1A and also US 1 until you get to Florida City. Buffett must have been high on something when he thought he was cruising down A1A. It's a congested street in south Florida.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
36 reviews
31 helpful votes
8. Re: Highway A1A

It wasn't Buffett but Blue - and if you have never seen A1A in the SOBE area, it's really neat and worth a detour once or twice +.

It's not the destination but the journey......................

Gerrish Island...
Level Contributor
128 posts
9. Re: Highway A1A

I do not totally agree with most of the other posters. If you are not a frequent visitor to Florida the mainland can be fun in small doses. I note you are from the northeast as am I. Virtually every scene will be dramatically different from what we are accustomed to. The first week of November I drove a lbig portion of A1A from Boca south and found it enjoyable. The foliage and opulence alone are so different from what we see I feel it's worth it. I do concur with Simkeith though, leave A1A at or north of Miami. It's nothing but congestion south of there.

Larz

Gerrish Island...
Level Contributor
128 posts
10. Re: Highway A1A

Sorry,

it was Bluewater's advice regarding jumping off to the turnpike.

L.