We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

westbrook, maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

We are traveling to Key West in Early March...looking for sun and relaxation. Does anyone have information about interesting and fun family activities that are appropriate for a four year old? Also family restaurants? Any assistance is appreciated!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,154 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

Where are you staying?

There is a list of things to do which are family oriented here...

http://www.historictours.com/keywest/

...but especially look at the aquarium and the butterfly conservatory. And someone just got back who took a two and five-year-old and went on a snorkel trip aboard the Floridays, a smaller, 64' sailboat. This is what they said...

"We just got back from Key West and had a wonderful time. As you suggested, we talked to Captain John and decided to do a morning snorkel tour on the Floridays with the kids. He was so accomodating, and even let my little one steer the boat. My kids got a huge kick out of watching the snapper jump out of the water to grab the goldfish crackers we were feeding them (Captain John's suggestion). The hubby and I got to do some tag-team snorkeling, which worked out just fine."

The Floridays is berthed at the Hyatt next to the Pier House just off Duval. If you go, look for the pools of turtles just to the left of the lobby and Odie the parrot on the beach.

Very generally, any bar or restraunt without a band is pretty family friendly. In particular, Blue Heaven on Petronia (they say Thomas Str), Two Friends Patio Restraunt, El Meson de Pepe on Wall Str for Cuban food, and most of the places on the Bight - Half-Shell Raw Bar, Turtle Kraals, etc. Just walk along and see what looks good. And just for fun, go to B.O.'s Fishwagon on Caroline. You might see Bob the dog.

Pjk

westbrook, maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

pjk -

We are saying at the Island City House for 7 nights...

Thanks for the information...One thought I had was to take a day trip up the keys to find a good beach...any recommendations? Is this realistic?

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,154 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

Althought I've never done this, but keep thinking of doing it, you can do a day trip up to Islamorada or Big Pine Key for a day or even an overnighter. Look for the posts about driving down to the Key for the information you need in reverse. I think you will find that even seven days in key West goes very quickly, though.

Pjk

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,154 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

You're on William Street which is 2 minutes from the Key West Bight. If you don't go off Key West in search of a beach, check out the Stars and Stripes...

http://www.adventurekeywest.com/

...it is a slightly shorter all-day sail with two snorkeling stops and lunch. They go out at 9:30 and are back by 3:30, the catarmaran would be OK for a 4-yr-old with plenty of shade, and if they stop at the sand bar as the second stop (no guarentee) you could even take your child into the water with a life vest. It is approx three feet deep and warm with a sandy bottom. Captain Don Kincaid.

You can even go over to the so-called "Simonton Beach" at the very VERY northen end of Simonton Street. The local kids hang out here, there is a little bit of sand and a small pier that they fish off of. Not rowdy but small.

Pjk

westbrook, maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

pjk -

Thanks so much for all of the info..the website you have recommended is extremely helpful!

Any other things you can think of will be very appreciated...

Have you ever stayed at the Island City House? What is your favorite shop in Key West for trinkety things, t-shirts, etc...AND what is your favorite second hand or interesting shop?

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
60 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

Ask Gordon at Key West Travel Guide. He's one of the oldest (don't tell him I said that) concierges on the island, and is great at recommending stuff for your family.

His site is http://www.keywesttravelguide.com and it has a lot of stuff not covered in other guides.

Boston
Level Contributor
348 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

Have a fun trip Baron

good deal on tshirts at Pelican poop on Simonton i think

Half Buck Freddies on Caroline and there is a store there that also has fun old postcards.

Around the corner from the lane coming from Schooner there is a very interesting antique shop .. a little bit befor e Peppers

i never can remember the names of these streets

and there are also good used book stores on White .

westbrook, maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

Thanks so much! I've e-mailed the site with Gordon and asked for info and I'm making a list of cool shops. I appreciate all of the information AND I especially appreciate that no one has posted anything discouraging about our bringing our 4 year old with us. We are older parents (started late) and we aren't into the extreme party scene but I've been to Key West before and loved it and feel that it has so much more to offer than just a place to get drunk and crazy (although I think it offers that well)...anyway we have traveled quite a bit with our daughter and are looking forward to this trip greatly!!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,154 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

>>Have you ever stayed at the Island City >>House? What is your favorite shop in Key >>West for trinkety things, t-shirts, >>etc...AND what is your favorite second >>hand or interesting shop?

No (Island City House), but just to see what is in your area, take an afternoon or morning and walk around to the front of the Galleon as far as the Tiki Bar and if you like it, have a drink. This is also a good place for one breakfast. Then walk back out and through the grounds of the Hyatt. Then back out ans through the grounds of the Pier House, onto their beach, then up the stairs to the left of the beach and around the sunset deck and down to Duval. The view from here is very good, esp if there is a cruise ship or two in. Then walk around the other side of the deck, down the stairs and around the Discover glass bottom boat over to the Hot Tin Roof bar that long pier with umbrellas) and follow the path to the left over to the Mallory Docks, as far as you can possibly go.

Fav. place for T-shirts etc. is called Summer Salt on Front Street. There are less expensive places and more expensive places, but their cloths and hats and even totes seem to be of a much better quality and color.

And for trinkeks, there are several places on Duval which sell frig magnets, mugs, key chains, pins, etc.

Pjk

westbrook, maine
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for fun things to do with a four year old in Key...

pjk - Thanks for the tour....printing and saving this for our trip!!

Get answers to your questions about Key West