We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thing to do in Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
1 post
Save Topic
Thing to do in Key West

My husband and I are visiting November 13th-16th. What are some "must do" activities while in Key West? We are celebrating our 1st weeding anniversary. Any Suggestions would be helpful! We are also traveling with another couple and staying at the Pier House.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,743 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thing to do in Key West

There are several things that come up most often as must dos.

An all-day sailing/snorkeling/kayaking trip such as the Sebago Island T'ing or the Danger Charters. They go out at approx. 10:00 from about 2 minutes from your hotel and come in at 4:00. They serve a small breakfast, stop for a snorkel, serve a lunch and drinks, then go or a kayak tour around one of the mangrove islands. Sebago is my favorite.

A breakfast or late lunch ar Blue Heaven on Thomas Street (dinners gt crowded) You eat in a big fenced-in garden amongst the chickens and cats, and they serve a number of great sea-food platters. And one stop at B.O.'s Fishwagon over on Caroline Street They have good fish sandwiches. And the four of you could go over th Santaigo's Bodega avout three blocks off Duval on Petronia. You can order a pitcher of Sangria and share four different platters of tapas, hot or cold, seafood or meat. Then order four more different ones.

Dancing to the Cuban band at El Meson de Pepe and sampling a mojito ($8.50, sheesh)

Then a few touristy things like a Key West Sunset Lager at Sloppy Joes, peel your own shrimp at the HalfShell Raw Bar, the band at either Schooner Wharf or Hoggs Breath. And since you are at the Pier House, have a drink and listen to the music at the piano bar overlooking the float, and one drink at the "cave." (You'll know it when you see it)

(Why would someone celebrate a year of weeding?)

Pjk

Que
UK
Level Contributor
638 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thing to do in Key West

You could consider a visit Dry Tortugas - you can go via boat or plane and will have the chance to explore the fort and snorkel.

You could also go on a fishing trip. If you're not sure whether this is for you or are not very experienced this is a decent choice and very reasonably priced:

keyskayakfishing.com/party-boat-fishing.html

The Key West Butterfly Conservatory is nice and tranquil and a perfect place to take photos:

http://www.keywestbutterfly.com/

Danger Charters was recommended by the owners of the B&B but we didn't have time for everything - maybe next time.

A week or so ago the beaches were still all piled up on the pavement after the hurricane so I wouldn't bank on spending much time there.

I know it may sound weird but there is a lot of history in the cemetary and we found it an interesting place to visit.