We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report from KW-

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report from KW-

I share this as an eye-opener so hopefully no one else will find themselves in this position on a trip. As a Florida resident, and getting a birds eye view of hurricanes last year, I do not want to come across as petty, but the series of events on a first day of "vacation" I cannot hold back, they're too comical! Not then, but only now :) I arrived on the first day of tourist re-opening after Rita, so I came with an open mind of closures, roads, etc...That I expected. I have become a regular visitor and always make it a point to stay somewhere new. My trip had been cancelled due to a serious family illness in June, and so this one we felt lucky to squeek in between hurricanes. I did alot of preparation prior to the trip, mainly because it was a short trip and I did not want to spend the time reserving, calling, etc...while there. First blunder, Delta delays morning flight (we're trying to get a working plane from Orlando), and they did, thank you Delta (only a 2 hr. delay but a safe plane). I had already reserved a taxi pick up at the airport. To be considerate, I telephoned them telling them our flight was delayed, unsure of arrival time, will call at landing. Landed, called, was told by dispatcher "Oh, we've just left the airport, no one in vicinity, go ahead and take another". This seemed odd since tourists had been gone for several days, but ok, so I call another. "Yes, be there soon". Cell phone rings, "This is the taxi-service", he'll be driving a *#?. Sure enough as we're loading bags into Taxi 1, here comes Taxi 2 WITH AN ATTITUDE! Drivers begin verbal altercation for five minutes creating quite an embarassing scene. Enroute to rental office, radio has sparks shooting out of it regarding THE WOMAN WHO CALLED TWO CABS!!!! Great, now we've been labeled from our sole form of transport for the entire trip. Get to rental office-please wait cab. I'll pay a wait charge, just running in to pay, grab keys, then you can take us to rental. WRONG! I was naive enough to follow their e-mail confirmation to a T and did just that. Had put 50% down at booking on c/c, balance of cash. Walked in with cash and enough cash for additional night since room was available a 4th night. They could not give me summer special of 4th night free as I'd booked three days too early for that. Anyway, original booking, here's the cash, OH NO, WE MUST HAVE A C/C even though our e-mail said cash and card had already posted 50% at booking. Now, that particular c/c had changed companies, and I did not have the new card yet, nor was I positive of other balances available I had. All because I thought when they said cash, I thought they meant cash! So, ran balance on my debit card (which was intended to be my spending money for the trip). So, now I'll just use all this cash in my purse and hope I'm not robbed. Ok, keys in hand, they did call new cab. We go to get in the cab, and cabbie says, "Oh, are you THE WOMAN WHO CALLED TWO CABS"? "Do you have ANY idea what gas costs"? Berated the entire time so much so that he was not listening to the correct address. We get dropped off at the correct number, BUT THE WRONG STREET. Ironically, it too was a guest house with a similar front and we did not notice as we were too busy being ridiculed. ALRIGHTY THEN...now we're at the WRONG ADDRESS, with our luggage. The guest house gentleman was kind enough to offer a cab-no thank you. So, here we are walking blocks in 2 p.m. heat with luggage to the correct address. He was kind enough to give us a map. Another two hours spent on the cell phone with husband and credit card companies discussing balances etc...as I was not comfortable with all the cash. SOLUTION-get to the bar, ANY BAR, and thank you Monty's, Schooner Wharf, Captain Tony's, Irish Kevins, Ricks, Carolines, Bull & Whistle, and plenty of others I cannot recall. Next morning, GOING TO BLUE HEAVEN-starting the day out right, cab! Pull up, CLOSED DUE TO VACATION. Checking out of rental office-can we call you a cab? NO THANK YOU-we'll get one on our own, someone who knows where the airport is. Moral of this story, double check any e-mail confirmations by calling them regarding your check in policies-get a name, don't believe what's in writing. I would had gladly paid for another night but not after all of that, and everywhere else has minimum night requirements and more arranging to find somewhere. Next time, I'll know better-ask if Cash means GREEN CASH? Apparently at this place it does not. Thank goodness I had taken my c/c statement showing the deposit posting. Next time, I will insist on paying in full before arrival and it will not be with this company. Funny part was, my companions on this trip, their first trip, had heard from me for years about how welcoming KW was, and Duval St. was but not until then. They just shook their heads...............Next time I will swim, prepay for room in full, and stay on Duval.

Boston...
Level Contributor
112 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report from KW-

Since getting there was such a nightmare, I must ask...how was the rest of your stay? We are headed down to Key West in two weeks.

Jan

Florida
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report from KW-

Oh the rest of the stay was wonderful! I'd never gone on a sunset cruise and that was terrific-if you have the time do that definitely. I still love Key West itself, it was just I've never had such a time for what was supposed to be a relaxing time, and was surprised at the mass confusion. Part of staying at different places is to learn where you like and where you don't like, right? Have fun on your trip.