We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida keys

uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Florida keys

My family inc kids age 12 and 14 are planning about 5 days in the keys next Easter. I would be really pleased to hear any must do or must stays. We are keen to see the dolphins as well. Many thanks!!

liverpool
Level Contributor
912 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida keys

Misie,

my wife and I tok our first visit to Key west last year and we are returning in 3 weeks time it is fantastic how are you getting there ? if driving from the mainland then you are in for a treat once you get to Key largo the scenery is great I actually seen dolphins jumping out of the water while driving over one of the many bridges

Key wet is basically an adult place plent of bars and clubs which are open till late for the kids the wter sports are brill you can hire out canoes snorkel I am hoping this time to be up early enough to take the trip to the dry tortugas which is a full day out but sounds good the rstaurants are also good and eating out isgreat fun just be a bit weary if out late on Duvall st can get a little lively no need to feel scary it does get lively

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Mulhouse, France
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida keys

We are going to the Keys for the third year in a row next Easter also. We are renting a townhouse in Key Largo for two weeks. We travel a lot between the mainland and Key West for our numerous activities. Key West is a must ! Beautiful historic houses, plenty of entertainment, beautiful sunsets...

As for dolphins encounter, I hardly recommend a visit to the Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key near Marathon, check their website for detailed info (www.dolphins.org). You will be garanteed of a wonderful day full of emotions.

As for water activities, there is plenty of choice for everyone ! Snorkling, fishing, boating,... You can combine several activities by going a cruise out of Key West (check with Sebago, Carabean Spirit). Keys Divers offer great snorkling trips to John Pennekamp water state park. They are located in Key Largo (web :www.keysdiver.com). They are great with kids.

Bahia Honda State Park and beach is also a must go place. It is about 30 miles north of Key West. Beautiful view on top of the old bridge.

Still another six months to wait.....

Enjoy !

Mentioned in this post
Largo
Largo
Florida
Dolphin Research Center
Dolphin Research Center
2,318 Reviews
Grassy Key, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Sebago Key West
Sebago Key West
3,524 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Bahia Honda State Park and Beach
Bahia Honda State Park...
3,525 Reviews
Big Pine Key, FL
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,211 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida keys

FWIW I always stay at the Pier House, 1 Duval Street, partly because it is within walking distance of pretty much everything except the airport and partly because it has a small beach which, I notice, younger children really like. They can swim in the ocean or in a pool and go out to a float and dive off.

Must do's are getting onto the and into the water, so you should look into the various snorkeling trips that are available, either 1/2 day or the full day trips. Half-dayers are either in the morning, afternoon, or afternoon snorkel/sunset sail combo. Full dayers go out in the middle of the morning and come in around 4:00.

And the kids and you will really like Blue Heaven on Petronia and B.O.'s Fishwagon on Caroline for eats.

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Duval Street
Duval Street
11,582 Reviews
Key West, FL
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,227 Reviews
Key West, FL
Caroline's Cafe
Caroline's Cafe