We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrero's

KY
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Marrero's

Any first hand experiences from Marrero's?

Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrero's

Yep....we stayed there 2 years ago....it was terrific....the pool was clean and beautiful...the rooms - our room - upstair in back was large and clean....every day we were there...the people who ran the place we a nice and helpful as they could be...the breakfast was a large fresh spread...very good and the happy hour by the pool each afternoon was a no-miss event....really nice, quiet and right there next to duval street...not too much walking to get places...the house is nice...old, well kept, maybe they could do better with the water pressure, but any issues were minor...we loved our stay...they have some really nice rooms, lots of space, lots of character...and they have a few small rooms that I wouldn't care for...ours was huge....balcony, private entrance from steps going down to the pool.....outdoor shower, that proved interesting...pool space is open all the time...would go back without question.....parking was tough....had to go down the street to the city buildings....

Want more detail or specific questions, just ask.....we were treated well, the price was reasonable, the location and features were perfect....

how's that......

tim & patti

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrero's

Stayed there in February of '04. Agree with the last poster 99 per cent (our water pressure was fine and the parking was only two blocks away, which is a lot better than some other joints on the island). You do know the pool is clothing optional and the place is haunted by the Marrero's second wife and child? There was a ghostly apparition when we were there: a baby was heard crying in the night in one of the rooms and there was no baby there! One other thing: the house is on the Conch Train tour route, so if you're on the porch, wave like Queen Elizabeth.

Greetings from Prague!

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
372 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrero's

Davy_Gam, how do I ask this without sounding like a total prude? ... I am not interested in the clothing optional option, but don't really care what others do. Does everyone take advantage of the option or are there just a few? Can you elaborate? Thanks.

Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrero's

saw your note....was there....took part some days and did not on other days...fyi...not everyone there takes their clothes off...but some did, and it didn;t make any difference to the group by the pool...the music was great, the people were nice and it didn't seem to bother anyone....At night...late, many who were there in the afternoon clothed, were skinny dipping in the pool....

tim

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrero's

I don't think you're a prude at all. You're planning your vacation: it's your precious time and your hard earned money and you should get what you want out of it. And one of the best way to plan is by asking questions and that's what this forum is for.

As far as nudity at Marrero's is concerned, my take on the subject is pretty similar to yours. We decided to stay at Marrero's because of its location and because it looked like a well run place, which it is. (We go to KW every winter and pick the following year's guesthouse by looking around, talking to owners/managers and asking to see a room or two). We found out about the clothing optional part when we looked at the website, but it really didn't bother us. My wife and I thought, as long as no one expects us to take our clothes off and if people were comfortable being naked, why should we care? And if you are the kind of person who is easily bothered, KW is definitely not the place for you anyway! Now I have to admit, when the time came to go, I had an uneasy feeling regarding whether if the place was crawling with nudists would I be comfortable being the only one wearing a suit. But this was not the case.

When we were there for four days in February '04, the pool and jacuzzi were used extensively, and we saw only one fiftyish couple bathe au naturale. (It was our last day in town and their first and they said something about not having any clothes except the ones they arrived in, something about their luggage spending time in Atlanta). Now the pool is open 24/7 and if people who would otherwise wear a suit didn't bother in the middle of the night, I would not be surprised. We did hear the pool being used at odd hours. And it is a lovely pool. And a lovely guesthouse. John is a good innkeeper and we recommend Marrero's without hesitation.

Will your experience at Marrero's be the same as ours? I dunno. It has been suggested to me that some people do choose Marrero's precisely because they wish to swim nude. Your time there might correspond with a much more aggressively nudist group. If you really want to pursue this further, my suggestion is for you to talk to John the innkeeper. He might have an idea about his guests for the time you wish to visit.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
372 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrero's

Thanks for the information, guys. I think I'll be fine with it all. If I can attend my first Opera at this age, why not stay at a my first c/o optional B&B? It makes no sense to go on vacation and do all the things you would normally do at home! Now, I just hope they still have a room...

KY
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrero's

Tim, Davy, and Sharla,

Thanks for your posts. We have finally been able to schedule our trip. The middle of May!!! We are staying at Marreros. Would love to ask you guys some questions if it is not to much trouble. My email is moniqueispetite@yahoo.com and I also do yahoo chat, occasionally, as moniqueispetite. Thanks

Monique

PS I hope you enjoyed your trip Sharla

Virginia
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrero's

You are going to love marrero's....no problems...a clean and beautiful guest house, great grounds, beautiful pool...some rooms with real character....and it is so nicely located to the duval st activities...parking is a nuisance, just go down the street toward the city building...there are spaces to leave it...

C/o will be what you wish to make of it...plenty of skinny dipping at night...nice happy hour, great breakfast spread....

best wishes

timbo