We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

Deerfield Beach, FL
1 post
Save Topic
Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

Hi I will be in KW next week. I am staying at the hyatt windward by the airport. I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on best way to and from town. Should I drive, I will have a car, take the bus, rent a bike (not sure how far it is from Duval Street. Any suggestions are welcome. Also any suggestions on things to do, I will be by myself. Thinking of doing a sunset cruise, snorkeling, and a wild dolphin encunter. Any suggestions to make it a fun trip are welcome

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
137 Reviews
from $145.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from $49.99*
$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
146 Reviews
from $63.00*
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

Well a cab would be quickest, but expensive....

I'm not sure if that Hyatt has a shuttle or not... that would be the best way if they do.

Do you have a car for the entire time? I would avoid driving into old town for a couple reasons... parking... and drinking. One of the best features of Key West is being able to have a beer and not worry about looking in your rear view.

If no shuttle, I would just do the cab. maybe see if anyone else is going in the sametime you are to negate the cost a bit.

Athens, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

It would be a long bike ride to old town but doable if you are used to long rides. I think I would drive at night or take a taxi if you are planning to enjoy the bars.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,369 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

I would rent a scooter, best way to get around Key West and you don't have to worry about a parking spot.

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
848 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

Since you have a car, I would drive unless you plan to whoop it up partying. It's a short drive, and you can park in the lot in front of the Waterfront Market or the city lot Caroline Street. Both are close to the Bight. The Caroline Street lot is cheaper but the lot in front of the Waterfront Market is closer to the Bight and, to me, more convenient.

falls church va
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

I'd go for the bikes if you don't mind about a 20 min ride. They're alot easier to "park" and lock up. If you do have a little too much fun then you can call a taxi to take you back home...you can put your bikes on their racks.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,299 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

This is where the reviews can be especially helpful;. You have some number of people who stayed here and dealt with this problem.

A few mentioned using a car and their expiriences with parking. And one wrote this...

"I was aware that the hotel was at the opposite end of the island. It wasn't difficult to get to town. There are taxi's (pricey) and a bus ($2) that can get you there. My husband and I are in our early 30's, so we would have liked to be closer to the action, however my parents were fine with the location, and loved the property."

Pjk

7. Re: Staying by airport, suggestions on getting into town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, December 07, 2009