We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

I'm brainstroming ideas for a beach wedding. I have decided on Smather's Beach, but can't come up with any kind of back-up plan in case of weather. The month isn't set, but I believe I would like sometime between April and Beginning of June (recommendations welcome!) and I'll have about 30 people. I have looked into resorts, but they want about $4000 for a ceremony. There has GOT to be a better solution! Any ideas? I don't mind spending some, but $4000 is ludicrous when all that is required is an officiant! Tents can be excessively expensive as well, and are ugly, so what does that leave? Would a church accept being a back-up plan? Does anyone know of a pretty church that won't give me much of a hassle or cost too much? I was baptized Catholic, but was pretty much raised Protestant, and I've recieved communion if that matters to any of it. I'm not religious what-so-ever, so if there are any other beach back-up plans, I'd really like to hear them!!! And if you could recommend a time of year we can all hang in shorts and tank tops and neither freeze nor melt, let me know! (I'm in Sarasota, and I know June sucks... Does it downpour and thunder everyday there too?).

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
136 Reviews
from $145.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from $49.99*
$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
145 Reviews
from $63.00*
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

I just want to add, I have no idea where my guests or I will be staying. I'll need affordable rooms, as some of my guests will be flying in from as far as NJ, then will take the Key West Express. It's adding up already for them!!! It's way to early to worry about their rooms, the prices will change to much by then. But again, I'll take any recommendations.

key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

I got married at a church here in KW. It has parking, plenty of room out front for photos, two other buildings for the bride/groom to get ready, etc and the minister couldn't be a cooler guy, his name is Ron. I was married 14 years ago and still swing by once in a while with a little donation for his slowly dwindling population (They're getting old).

First Congregational Church

527 William, KW

Ron (305) 296-8633

He's a wonderful guy, very down to earth, used to be a military chaplain. Drives a Mustang GT! He'd make a great primary or backup location, but I'd really consider it as primary because sometimes the beach can really smell....

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

The beaches smell? Please tell me not Smather's or Fort Zachary!!!! Is there a particular season or month they smell, and maybe not others???

Do you have any guess as to how much it would cost to use the church as a backup? And I assume we'll have to do a bunch of stuff to be able to get married in a church?

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

I've been trying to find some pictures of the church to at least get an idea of what it looks like inside...any ideas? all I've found is pics of St Paul, and I've read they require all kinds of stuff before allowing you to marry there. It doesn't sound like a convenient back up plan....

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

I have been to many beautiful weddings at Fort Zachary Taylor, so that would be my choice. They have four reserved sites for weddings and there was never a smell.(www.fortzacharytaylor.com) Where are you having your reception? That might tie into your back up plan.

If you are thinking of having your wedding next year, it's not too early to book rooms, if you have some idea of how many you would need. If you want a beach wedding, then I would think that a church might not be the best for a back up. Why not a covered informal outdoor spot?

Limey

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

I would LOVE to NOT get married in a church! No offense to anyone, but I hate going to chruch, and I'd really like to avoid spending the happiest day of my life in one!!! I just can't come up with any other ideas, so if you know of a place where none of us will get soaked, and my hair & gown are will be safe, PLEASE let me know!!! I have no idea where we'll have our reception yet, but I do know it won't be in a resort/hotel. It would have been an easy solution, but an insanely expensive one. If there is a nice restaurant that I could use as a reception and back up, I'd LOVE to hear about it. Parking isn't an issue, I'm arranging a trolley ride for all my guests. I was also wondering if I had a reception at a restaurant, do any of them let you hire a DJ or band?

Sorry for so many questions! I really feel like you guys know what your talking about seeing that you're locals, and I'm still waiting for acceptance to the yahoo destinations group....

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,414 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

April and May are great in Key West, just plan around any holidays or special events like Easter and the Songwriter's Festival.

I would check out the Southernmost Hotel Collection (4 properties)...they are on the quiet end of Duval and near the Southernmost Beach Cafe, which has a beach, inside area, outside area, and you could have a DJ there. Other suggestions for a backup/reception are...

Conch Republic Seafood Company, Hard Rock Cafe, Roof Top Cafe, Bagatelle, and the list is endless. Key West is the second most popular wedding destination in the country, and there are over 200 restaurants here. Google Key West weddings and you will get directed to lots of places to check out! If you haven't been to Key West, I would suggest a quick trip down to check things out for yourself.

Limey

New Jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

If you want a simple, no frills ceremony and plan to have around 30 guests, The Southernmost can probably do for less than $4000. Ceremony can be on the beach or on their pier. In case of rain, the do have a covered deck that can accomodate around 30 people. I just got married there & couldn't be happier.

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

I would love to have a ceremony at all the places you guys mentioned, but I have already looked them up, and the ceremony alone is about $4000! Especially at the Southermost resorts, which is a disappointment because I loved the pictures of the place, and the fact they had a pier. I made a spread sheet of all the resorts, prices/packages, and pro/cons. they are all so expensive! I seriously can't justify spending 4 grand for a ceremony alone, when all that is required is $150 or so for an officiant! I'm prepared to spend a lot for a reception (restaurant style), but the ceremony on a free beach shouldn't cost much. I just don't know what to do for a backup in case of rain, I was hoping the locals would know of a little place...

Ringoes, New Jersey
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: ideas for backup plan for beach wedding..

If you're willing to "pay a lot" for the reception, why not just use that place as your "backup" for the ceremony?

When negotiating the price for the reception, ask for the use of the place in case of weather emergency. Make that part of the deal.

Get answers to your questions about Key West