We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to the beaches in the last day or so in the...

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to the beaches in the last day or so in the...

I was curious if anyone on here has been to either Smathers Beach, or Bahia Honda State Park in the last day or so....wanted to know what the current condition is of those beaches...if they are getting back to "normal"...or if they are still a mess from the hurricane....I will be down in the keys next weekend and was hoping the beaches would be cleaned up by then....thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Has anyone been to the beaches in the last day or so in the...

Thanks for all your posts...I'll be in Bahia Honda tomorrow and then Key west later that day...so I'l give my report later this weekend...sounds pretty much like I anticipated...thanks for all your posts...Gary

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
75 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Has anyone been to the beaches in the last day or so in the...

I just got back from my trip...and I am happy to report the beaches in Key West are getting back to normal...when I first arrived in Key West the largest Beach, Smathers, had lots of sea grass/sea weed lining the shoreline and also several large mounds of the stuff several feet high ...along the beach...also there was lots of dried up shredded sea weed/sea grass mixed into the sand alont the beach so the sand was not its normal beautiful white...but kinda of a dingy grey/brown....over my 6 day stay there i noticed a steady improvement to the beach...the had some heavy equipment there to sift out tha sea weed/sea grass...and then mix the clean sand back into the beach with a bulldozer....the water was clean and warm with the ocassional sea weed floating around...the smell was not bad, and only every so often would you get a little wiff of something strange smelling....for all you first timers to Key West you really need to bring some water shoes or booties to wear if you want to walk out into the water since there is lots of sea grass/sea weed at the bottom and it just feels strange to walk on bear footed......The beaches at Bahia Honda State park were in worse shape...the one beach on the Atlantic side I think...I forget the name of it...was totally covered in Sea Weed...and they don't clean the sea weed since they just let it decay away or something...and there was really no place to lay on the beach or put a chair...the beach near the concession area was in good shape and was fine...also...take the snorkel trip out to Loe Key if you are able to from Bahia Honda...the day I went it was perfect conditions...very calm, clear, and just an amazing time...well worth the trip...it was beautiful !