We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oklahoma City, OK
Level Contributor
403 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

My husband and I (30/32) will be visiting Key West in mid November to celebrate my (eek!!!!) 30th birthday. We are a fun-loving, diversity-loving, childless couple who are VERY excited about our first trip to KW. I've been reading all of the threads and have a few good ideas about the "can't miss" places, ie.Blue Heaven, the cuban restaurant, Half Shell Raw Bar, Hemingway Houseetc, but I do have a couple of questions.

1) I read that the avg. temp in Nov. is about 80..will the water, etc still be warm enough to snorkle and hang out at the beach? (I know, KW is not know for it's beaches, we're walking into this with our eyes open)

2)We have kind of been thinking about a trip to Dry Tortugas, but wondered if it was worth it? I know it kills an entire day and wondered if those of you out there thought it was a good idea to go.

We will be there for a week..Sat.-Sat. and are flying into Miami, driving down and then flying out of Key West. Just so you all know what we like...we plan to do the "Duval Crawl", so we love to party and have a good time, but we are also content to lie around a pool and read for hours. We do laid back vacations to St. Pete Beach and throw downs to Las Vegas. Thought Key West would be the best of both worlds and then some!

Can't wait to hear your input and suggestions for anything else I might have missed that we "must" see!

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

Water is still warm in November. Key West is tropical. By all means go to the Dry Tortugas. It is a great day trip. The beach there is nice and if the water is clear the snorkling is outstanding. The fort is amazing to visit also. The best boat to get you there is the Yankee Freedom. It is larger and more stable than the sunnydays.

Another of my must do list is a sunset sail on one of the single hull ships (America II or Western Union). It is a nice relaxing booze cruise and a lot of fun. Have a great trip!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
33,984 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

It's difficult to just say "yes" or "no" to the Dry Tortugas. On the one hand it's nice to do something that takes you away from the hotel and the island for a day, and either of the two boats that go out offer lunch and snorkeling equipment. And there are places to swim and snorkel and walk at the fort and you can explore the fort itself. But it's relatively expensive and you will spend approx. two hours getting there and two getting back. It's a long day. Or you can take the seaplane out and you will get there and back faster, but this is even more expensive and you must get to and from the airport. The boats go out of the bight and I will assume you can walk there.

I've alwasy thought that for first timers, a better all-day trip is one of the combo snorkel/kayak or snorkel / jet ski trips. Look at the info for the Danger Charters, the Sebago Island T'ing or the Stars & stripes. They are "all-day" in the sense that they go out at approx 9:30 and come back between 3:00 and 4:00, and you still have the evening to go out.

Pjk

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

escantrell,

First, let me say that November is my absolutely favorite time to go to Key West. It should be plenty warm, both air and water - we love to go to the beach when we're there at Thanksgiving. It also is less crowded, so you should be able to get the choice table at the choice eatery that might be a harder catch during high season.

If you're going to be there a week, the trip to the Dry Tortugas would be a fun day out on (or over, if you're seaplaning) the water. We went out once on the Yankee Freedom, and can recommend it - we plan to fly when we go again, just to check out the view from above.

As for other ideas - where are you staying? Many on this board will be able to give you tips on what's available in the immediate area of your hotel/B&B.

North Metro ATL, GA
Level Contributor
795 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

Another activity you might enjoy is self-guided walking tours of Old Town. One of the great things about Key West is the abundance of history there, you can spend a few days just exploring that on foot.

The resource I use is the Sharon Wells Biking and Walking tours booklet, available at various places around town. It has the added advantage of being free, which is something in an otherwise expensive place. For a preview of some of tours available, check out her web site:

http://www.seekeywest.com/walkingTours.htm

Note that you'll pay a S&H fee if ordering the guide online, or you can wait and pick one up for free when you arrive.

Paradise
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

Hi es - I have not been in November but me and my boyfriend (23/26) just went for July 4th weekend - you guys HAVE to rent scooters! You can rent them for $30 a day - I'm not sure what the weekly rental rate is - but we had a BLAST zooming around town on these - I was hesitant at first b/c I've never ridden a motorcycle ..but a scooter is easy to learn & great way to race around the town in & get from one destination to the next! And remember to toot your horn as you pass by other scooter-ers! I recommend para-sailing - here's the site I booked ours from - http://www.bestonkeywest.com/parasailing.htm

We did the morning special - 2 people can go up at a time - the view is BEAUTIFUL from up there and there's something magical about kissing that high up in the sky!! We loved it.

One of the best days I had down there was breakfast at Turtle Kraals (right next to our parasailing booth), followed by parasailing..then we meandered through the town cemetery (had to see the "I told you I was sick" epitaph!"), walked from one end of Duval to the other, saw the 'Southern Most Point' rock...tried to find somewhere for a lite bite..ended up at The Beer Garden on Duval - had hummus and pita bread and split 4 (maybe 6? it was 2 for 1...) daquiris (tried all of their flavors!)..headed back to the guest house but came across a little market & picked up bottle of champagne & 6 pack of red stripe..lounged around pool and finished off champagne, cleaned up and went to find mallory square but somehow got lost.. age dinner at Kellys (LOVED)..cocktails at Kellys...memory is getting hazier...I think at this point we attempted to do the Duval Crawl but ended up hitting a total of 5 bars?? Went to Fat Tuesdays, The Bull & Whistle (go upstairs to the 3rd floor..lol..) , then I think we ended up at the Blu Room? A dance club - had a BLAST - then we had one of those bike-taxis take us back to our questhouse around 3:30..where we continued with some cocktails (yes, we thought we were invincible at this point..) And then ended up in the jacuzz!Needless to say, we slept til 1 the next afternoon.

Fort Zachary Taylor is definetly a MUST SEE, it was a good dose of history and I almost got lost imagining what went on there..

Scooters, scooters, scooters!!

Let me know if I can answer any further questions, hope you have a WONDERFUL time!

Paradise
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Excited about Key West trip..couple of questions.

Oh, and I don't know how the weather will be when you go but I'm guessing it will be very nice & a lot cooler than when we went!! It was SO hot outside, even the statues were sweating! I'm not kidding! There's a little park right outside Mallory Square with statues of heads (Hemingway and other figures of KW) and as we were walking thru it, we noticed many of them had sweat running down their faces!! Weird!