We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time Visitor...What MUST we do?

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charleston, WV
1 post
Save Topic
First Time Visitor...What MUST we do?

Hello all! Me and my wife are making our first excursion to the Keys next week and wanted some advice on what we should make sure to see and do (Attractions, Restaurants, etc.). We really just need a relaxing vacation but also wanted to take one of the sunset cruises and possibly make a trip to Dry Tortugas (Is it worth it?). Also, we have read on this website about the various restaurants and such but want to make sure we make the right decisions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Albuquerque, NM
12 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: First Time Visitor...What MUST we do?

You must try the hog snapper at cafe sole. It'll run you about 27/plate but it's well worth it. The bonus is that there is a coupon in the coupon books and on one of the free mpas for a free bottle of wine with two entrees.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: First Time Visitor...What MUST we do?

I don't advise anyone renting a moped, unless you are motorcycle experienced. Some places will not rent to you if you are not. Electric cars, bicycles and just easy walking will be more effective, less stressful and safer for you.

Pittsburgh, PA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: First Time Visitor...What MUST we do?

For dinner go to Abondonzza, it is one block off Duval near the Southernmost end of the island. It is an Italian place, is it moderately priced, quaint, great food. The portions are huge..so order and to share. It beat some of the restaurants on Duval which tend to charge much more.

Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Time Visitor...What MUST we do?

I rented a moped, due to the scorching heat and a bit of disability in walking. I had no problems with this form of transportation whatsoever and enjoyed it immensely. Very fast and safe form of transport, and you can cover the island really fast this way. Plus the cooling breeze will dry you off riding! Be sure to wear sunscreen, sunglasses and maybe purchase a nice wide brimed straw hat too. I burned my scalp without one!

Level Contributor
39 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Time Visitor...What MUST we do?

I was told by the locals that B&O is one of the must do dining spots, as well as Seven Fish which I can definately attest to as being REALLY GREAT ! Both are where the locals dine. Ask for the RED ROYAL SHRIMP when you go anywhere...they're not the pink shrimp. The red royals are kept for those who ASK for them by name and taste just like lobsters.