We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time visitor to kew west

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
scotland
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
first time visitor to kew west

As I said this is going to be our, mid 40's man/wife, first visit to Kew West, we are planning to come September 2005. As we would like to explore as much as can of the area can anyone tell me do you have to book accomodation in advance or can you just arrive pick-up accomodation on the day. I'm just starting to plan the trip so any advice, websites will be gratefully received.Thanks in advance.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: first time visitor to kew west

Book in advance.

usefuld Keys web sites:

www.Fla-Keys.com

www.KeyWest.com

Google the web for additional web sites.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first time visitor to kew west

P.S.

For Key West and the Keys, go back through the forum postings for addtional inormation -

there're a lot of good recommendations regarding virtually everything in Key West

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time visitor to kew west

I'd say it depends on just how adventuresome you are. If you're willing to take the gamble, It's possible there would be some place for you to stay. Might not be what you wanted though.

Key West is a very popular place. Especially if you're going anywhere around Sept 5 which is Labor Day. If you plan on arriving early in the day, you might see if you could book a room some place that the have a 6pm same day cancellation notice. This way it'll give you a chance to explore.

Tennessee
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first time visitor to kew west

Do not take the risk with Key West. Book in advance! It is too hard a place to get to to take a chance. If you are going in Sept

you need to book now. Really should have already. If you have never gone before be sure to take the conch tour train when you first get there. I is a good way to see most of the main attractions. You can decide what you want to go back and see more in depth later.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
599 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time visitor to kew west

You should book at least 6 mos. in advance in order to be happy with your accomodations. Key West is very popular even for the mainlanders.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,432 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first time visitor to kew west

You need to decide if you want to stay in a B&B, one of the more up-scale hotels, or if a motel will do, and there are many of each. Most of the motels are on the south side of the island but since the island is only about 1 1/2 mile long this is no problem. There is one very nice hotel on the south side - the Casa Marina (and its associated Wyndham Reach) and five big hotels on the north side, all of which are right in the middle of the action. And the B&B's are pretty much spread out all over the place, but remember..."the place" isn't very big so location is not generally a consideration.

Then you need to decide when to go.

Pjk

Kansas City
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: first time visitor to kew west

Pjk -

What are the 5 hotels on the north side? I've never yet been to KW, but I'm only aware of 3? Thanks.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: first time visitor to kew west

The hotels on the Gulf are the Hilton, the Ocean Key, the Hyatt, the Pier House, and the Galleon - which is not a hotel, but a timeshare that rents to non-owners.

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time visitor to kew west

Trainer: I agree with the other posters: better to book in advance than be disappointed. I would also recommend that you stay in one of the guesthouses. They give a much more real Key West experience than staying in one of those big old hotels. You can stay in a hotel anywhere. (One of my esteemed fellow forum frequenters used the term "B&B" which is not exactly accurate and, I think, a little different from how you use the term in the UK). There are guesthouses of all sizes, all over KW, fitting all budgets and levels of luxury. A good one, in a good spot, is the Key West Harbor Inn. It is close to the waterfront and to Duval, yet quiet and immaculate. We have also stayed at Marrero's Guestmansion, which is also lovely and in a good location. It also has a high level of island quirkiness. It's said to be the most haunted guesthouse in town and the pool is clothing optional. Other guesthouses I can personally recommend are Courtney's Place and Papa's Hideaway. Happy hunting.

Get answers to your questions about Key West