We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some of my recent experiences from the Key West Island....

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
598 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Some of my recent experiences from the Key West Island....

We just returned from a wonderful 5 days in the Keys (4 ladies). We ate at the Half Shell Raw bar for happy hour and had great oysters for 33 cents apiece, conch fritters, and margaritas. We had lobster tails & margaritas at A & B Lobster House which were delicious but, expensive. We had Ceviche Mojitos (shashimi in lime juice, cilantro in a cocktail glass)..yum, at Willie t's...mojitos are great too there. We also had grouper/habanero chutney, conch chowder at the Conch Republic....wonderful food there too along with delicious mojitos. We did the Danger Charter ship (sail schooner) with snorkeling, kayaking the mangroves. Enjoyed the kayaking, but, the snorkeling was a bit lacking compare to the many snorkeling trips I have been on before. We did do the afternoon trip which starts at 3 and ends after sunset, so you are able to drink and snack and watch the sunset from the ship out in the gulf. Very beautiful and relaxing and the crew were very outgoing, fun, and informative. We stayed at the Eden House and our room was comfy and perfect for us. We had a kitchen (full w/stove, fridge, blender, microwave, sink), a bathroom that was huge (mirror so long, 3 women could use at the same time, with 2 seperate outlets at each end of it), shower big enough for 2 if wanted. queen size very comfy bed, double size sofa bed that was extra comfy too, screened in porch, and open deck w/view of pool and hottub on the other side. Every room with ceiling fans. A/C and Tv in our room as well. Happy hour is at 4 everyday with free vodka, rum, whisky, and gin along with mixers and juice and ice....get to know your neighbors and staff!! The pool and jacuzzi never closes just need to quiet down after 10. Would go back there again without 2nd thoughts. The power went off for hours while we were at the top of La Concha Hotel watching the sunset....fortunately the elevators still worked and we were able to join the cuban parade for dancing and carousing in the streets in the dark. When the lights finally came on the street crowd became exuberant!! What fun this trip was. Wish we had more time but, will have to come back to continue from where we left off...till then....."the Lower the Lattitude, the Better the Attitude!" see you conchs soon I hope!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some of my recent experiences from the Key West Island....

Thanks for all the info!! I really appreciate any info I can get - I'm going in July and am counting the days. I've never heard of ANYONE who has had a bad time in the Keys! Thanks again -

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some of my recent experiences from the Key West Island....

The Eden House does come highly recommended. Thanks for the details about your room. According to their website, they break their rooms dowm by levels of amenities and price. Do you happen to know which level your room was at?

I was interested to see that you had a good meal at Willie T's. I've had two meals at Willie T's, neither time was it my choice to eat there. One was okay, the other was not even. Willie T's contributed to our rule about not eating on Duval unless the restaurant is highly recommended .

East Coast
Level Contributor
711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some of my recent experiences from the Key West Island....

Great post... thanks for all the great info.

Your restaurant choices, as well as your menu choices, sounded SO good. Ceviche Mojito.. Oh My Gosh!

...I just dribbled.

Eden House sounds wonderful too.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
598 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some of my recent experiences from the Key West Island....

Hi Davy...responding to your questions...

at the Eden House we stayed in the "apartment" #403...this is on the 2nd floor and sleeps 4. (If you click on the apartment word on their website in the rates, you will see part of #403 in a pic but, it doesn't show it all). We were there for 4 nights/5 days and it cost us $197 per person total in the end (they offered 4th night free after booking 3 nights). A lot of other guests there said their rooms were very small but, they went for the cheapest or what was available when they booked it. Our room was very large including the bathroom and it helped that we had a screened in porch on one side and a open air balcony on the other. The kitchen was fully equiped and the staff were very nice. If you have 4 in your party...this is the way to go.

As for the food at Willie t's....we only ordered appetizers and mojitos so I can't tell you how the entrees are. Our waitress was actually very friendly and so were the other customers around us...course the power was out for over 3 hours before we got there so maybe this cheered everyone up when it came on. This was our only restaurant we tried on Duval Street.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
598 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some of my recent experiences from the Key West Island....

oops...sorry, I was corrected, the sofa bed in our room was a queen size, not a double.