We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now we know when, how about where?

New Hampshire
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Now we know when, how about where?

Thanks for your responses on when the best time of year to visit for us water sports enthusiasts. Sounds like May or November are the best months. So now my question is where? Our 2 trips down we've enjoyed many adventures with all real great guides. But I want to know if there are any better:

Kayaking- we've gone with Adventure Charters and Mosquito Coast. Both were great, although quite different experiences. Is there better?

Diving-we took our first dive (resort course) our last trip down with Dive Key West. That was simply spectacular. We are now on track to get certified up here in NH so next trip down we can spend less time in the pool and more time in the ocean. Dive Key West was great, but is there better?

Snorkling-we did a little snorkling on both kayak trips, but want to spend more time just floating. What is the best snorkle trip on the island?

Sunset cruise-we were lucky enough to win a free trip aboard the Western Union during the Battle for the Conch Republic. Now that was hilarious. So, back to reality, what is the best, most peaceful sunset sail to take?

Wave runners-this is something we wanted to do, but didn't have the time to fit in. It will be a must next trip. Has anyone done the tours around the island on jet skis? What's the best tour to take?

Dolphin Swim-another thing we haven't done, but plan to do next trip. Wild Dolphin Adventures has a pretty good web-site. Has anyone taken their tour? Any suggestions?

We fly in and do not rent a car, so all adventures must be based in Key West.

THANKS for helping me dream..........I just cannot wait to start planning our next trip down!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Now we know when, how about where?

Regarding dolphin swims - if you haven't, you may want to thoroughly read what the Wild Dolphin Adventures web site has top say about this -

There are several facilities in the Florida Keys that offer dolphin swims with their dolphins. The closest to KW is the Dolphin Research Center. Their web site is: www.dolphins.org

The DRC is located on Grassy Key some 60 miles NE of Key West, so, with no car.....

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,573 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Now we know when, how about where?

IMO the best snorkel trip for snorkling then "just floating" is the Stars & Stripes. They go out at about 9:30 and provide a continental breakfast, then tie up over a reef. At about 12:30 they serve a nice lunch, then go to a second spot, not always the same. You want to call ahead and see what the odds are thay they will go out to the sandbar. It is pictured on their web page. Last week the 2nd spot was at a sea-grassy area which is also a sponge farm. The captain decided it was so hot that he stripped off his clothes (bathing siut underneath) and we dove for lobsters.

WWW.ADVENTUREKEYWEST.COM.

Then they come in at about 3:00.

Pjk

New Hampshire
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Now we know when, how about where?

Thanks Endeavour105 and Pjk. You were both most helpful, and after going to both Dolphin Adventures and AdventureKeyWest web sites I have what I think is a pretty good game plan. My original intention with the Dolphin swim idea wasn't so much getting to pet a Dolphin, but to actually see a Dolphin, and maybe if I was lucky get to snorkle pretty close and get a once in a lifetime experience to be in their presence in the wild. So, from what I see on the websites, Stars and Stripes definately seems to have the best snorkle trips on the island. And it looks like I could get some very awesome underwater pics of coral and other sealife. If I were really, really, really lucky, maybe I could see a Dolphin on that snorkle tour, thus I will book this trip early in the week. If I wasn't quite so lucky and not see one then, I could book the Dolphin Adventure later in the week. Actually, either way, I'd be the luckiest person in the world being able to experience Key West period........Thanks again!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,573 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Now we know when, how about where?

Twist - Two things that I forgot. The first is that the Stars & Stripes will occassionally go looking for dolphins on the way in. If you get in touch with Captain Don Kincaid, ask his itinerary. He may not be able to tell you exactly since each day depends on the conditions, weather, etc ,but then he will know what you are looking for.

And look at the catamaran Echo - WWW.DOLPHINECHO.COM. They are a small boat that will take as few as 2 and as many as 6 people. They advertise that they do combinations; snorkle, kayak, dolphin, etc, so if you go with them, you may be able to tailor your own trip. I just found out about them last time I was in Key West and have not taken their tour. Their size means they are more expensive.

Pjk