We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how soon to purchase airline tickets

ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
how soon to purchase airline tickets

Hi. I need expert advice again. My husband and I are going to Key West the end of August. Yes, I know we're crazy, but that's the type of people we are! Right now the airfare is 416.00 roundtrip for the both of us. Should we purchase tickets now or wait until closer to our trip? Thanks for your help!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

yeow!!! I just booked a weekend trip last week for last weekend in Aug- RT for 2 and 3 nights at Lateda hotel last week for $690 total!!! Try expedia maybe, worked great for me......... bought RT air in Jan for June when it was 280 each also. Try to keep looking for a deal every morning and night, that is pretty high really.

Easton,Pa
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

If that's for both of you going into KW airport it's a good deal. We paid just about that to fly into Fort Lauderdale in Nov.( If it's per person you can definitely do better. )

Easton,Pa
Level Contributor
259 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

If that's for both of you going into KW airport it's a good deal. We paid just about that to fly into Fort Lauderdale in Nov.( If it's per person you can definitely do better. )

ny
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

It's for both of us.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

Buy now, they will only go up in price.

Bristol, Rhode...
Level Contributor
484 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

I booked my flight thru JetBlue outta Boston for $59 down to Ft. Lauderdale and $79 back

Johnstown, PA
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

Im with Bortas, Id book now. I started researching our airline tickets a few months before and should have booked right away..... the price only goes up. $416 for a round trip ticket is about what we paid from Pittsburgh to Ft. Laud. If thats flying right into Key West, Id jump on it now.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

My MIL is a travel agent and said the airlines are goign to be adding a $20 fee to every flight. That's a good deal regardless. The further in advance you book, the better deal you get. Snatch it up while you can.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

Here's my experience booking flights from Minneapolis Minnesota. First year we paid $327 each; got the tickets in September for February. Then I got tickets in January for $250 each (and this is all round trip to Fort Lauderdale or Miami) for a March arrival. A week ago I got tickets for $209 each to Miami for a December trip. I've never booked a flight directly into Marathon or Key West. It's more expensive (up to $800 each) the closer you get to your arrival date. I've just driven down 95 to Hwy 1 and took in the drive down! It's kind of a long day, but if you get a room in Key Largo or get an early start it's not bad. I go through orbitz.com, expedia.com and travelocity.com. Got the last tickets at travelocity.com, but with them you go at the times they give you - no choices. I got my last tickets at priceline.com. I don't think the prices vary too much even up until a month before. I made a point to look a month before and they were only a hundred or so more. Good luck.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
71 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: how soon to purchase airline tickets

I had asked this same question in the forums earlier, because me and my boyfriend are going to Key West from August 30th- September 8th, and I wondered if the prices would go up or not, and most people said they would just go up. I spoke to a travel agent and they said that the prices will definetly continue to rise because it is around the Labor Day holiday, so to go ahead and book the flight we want before it is taken.

We missed a deal for $250 round trip per person....but we did get the $300 per person round trip deal.

Hurry!