We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive From Miami

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Detroit
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Drive From Miami

Is the drive to Key West from Miami worth it or should we just fly to key west? The drive looks pretty. Also is it a good idea to stay a couple of night in Marathon and the a few in Key West or all in Key West?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive From Miami

Yes, the drive is most definitely worth it since I assume you've never done it before.

It's about 160 miles to KW from Miami and should take between 3.5-4.5 hours in off peak trafffic. You can make Key West easily in one day.

Try to avoid driving to the Keys on a Fridayafternoon/Saturday morning or returning on a Sunday afternoon or Monday Morning - peak traffic.

Whether or not staying a few days in Marathon is really dependent on what you want to do and see. What's your agenda?

Useful web sites:

www.fla-keys.com

www.dolphins.org - web stie of the Dolphin Research Center

www.KeyWest.com

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive From Miami

Yes, the drive is most definitely worth it since I assume you've never done it before.

It's about 160 miles to KW from Miami and should take between 3.5-4.5 hours in off peak trafffic. You can make Key West easily in one day.

Try to avoid driving to the Keys on a Fridayafternoon/Saturday morning or returning on a Sunday afternoon or Monday Morning - peak traffic.

Whether or not staying a few days in Marathon is really dependent on what you want to do and see. What's your agenda?

Useful web sites:

www.fla-keys.com

www.dolphins.org - web site of the Dolphin Research Center

www.KeyWest.com

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive From Miami

If you look through the postings you will find that there are people who figure that you can't get to Key West fast enough. They will suggest flying into Key West.

The thought process is that once you are in KW you will not need a car, so why pay for it to sit. Second, the trip can be agnonizingly slow at times.

Endeavour sugests trying to avoid the peak driving times which are - Friday afternoon and Sat morning towards KW, and Sunday afternoon away from KW. Good idea to miss those times.

I, however, feel that life is an adventure. I use the drive to become more incapacitated with my ever present "Keys Disease". As I get further from the airport, I find myself driving slower, smiling more, worring less, smiling more. thining less, smiling more (you get the drift)

I like the sun, birds, fish, crab traps, rain, the view and smell of the ocean, the bridges, the trees, the shops, the landmarks, the EVERYTHING of the drive.

My personal preference is to drive. I figure that there will be some key west sunset ale and margarita's whenever I get there. I'd rather stop and smell the crab cakes along the way.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive From Miami

Here, here !!!

I'm all for that slow leisurely drive down through the Keys...

done it quite a few times myself - no better way the 'chiil out' especially with a Key Lime cocktail or 12 - (after one storps driving for the day, of course)

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive From Miami

Definitely worth it. (Ignore the spoilsports elsewhere on the boards who say it's a waste of time.)

Whether you stay in Marathon or somewhere else along the way depends on what you want to do on the drive down. There are some interesting parks and such to explore along the way, but you can see plenty of sights and still make it to KW well before closing time.

Clifton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
791 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive From Miami

Yes definitely worth it! We just did it May 2 and returned May 8. Ft Lauderdale to KW and back. Rented a convertible and put that top down and blasted Jimmy Buffett music all the way! The drive was easy. It's a highway but some spots speed limit is only 35 and some places its 55. No super highway just watch the car in front of you. Many places to stop to eat, shop etc. Ate at a great place in Key Largo- HoBo's. Seven mile bridge is awesome. And the time went pretty fast. About 4 and 1/2 hours from Ft L with lunch stop. Have fun!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,961 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Drive From Miami

I'm a big fan of making the drive from Miami, but then returning the car and flying home out of Key West. Great, leisurely drive down, but not nearly as much fun going back up.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
34,432 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Drive From Miami

If you drive, check this out 1st...

buccaneerpublishing.com/AdventureGuide.htm

Pjk