We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Swimming With Dolphins

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Louisiana
Level Contributor
17 posts
Swimming With Dolphins

We are visiting Key West for a week at the end of June. We'll be flying into Miami and driving down on a Saturday, but our flight gets in just before 9AM so we'll have the whole day. My 13 year old want to swim with the dolphins on the way down. I've researched a few websites and it seems to be awfully expensive, however, I do want this trip to be memorable for her so I'm thinking about just forking out the bucks and doing it. Has anyone ever done this before and if so ... was it worth it? Also, where would you recommend that we do this? Any advice would be most appreciated!!!

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
1. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

Yes, I've done been swimming with dolphins numerous times at the Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key just this side of Marathon. I most definitely consider it "worth it".

Their web site is: www.dolphins.org

Due to popularity, make your reservations asap.

Hampshire
Level Contributor
78 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

I swam with the dolpins at dolphin research centre in 2003 and it was a once in a lifetime experience and worth every penny. So much so I'm turning into a twice in a lifetime experience and swimming with them again in a weeks time, although this time I'm getting it videoed by their videographer for an extra $75. The thing I liked about the research centre was that they took the time on the educational part of the experience, rather than just let you jump right in there and splash around. Check out their website like Endeavour said, it has all the info about when and how to book and what to expect. The look on her face when she gets a big kiss or plays splash with one of the guys will be worth every penny you paid.

Hope you and she has a great time.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
3. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

Also check out the one week DolphinLab Program details on the Dolphin Research Center web site for one who wants a true dolphin 'fix'.

I've done this program twice and can highly recommend it!

Kansas
Level Contributor
103 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

I took my daughter to swim with dolphins at Discovery Cove in Orlando a couple of years ago, and even though it was really fun, we were a little disappointed. We were with a group, and basically the dolphins were completely controlled by a handler and there was really no "swimming" with them. We were instructed to "now do this to the dolphin, now do that to the dolphin" and never had any real free interaction with them. So, you might be sure and check in to what kind of "swim with the dolphin" program the research center offers.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
5. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

To squirrelgirl:

The Dolphin Research Centerl does a way better job than Discovery Cove. I can say this from my experience - dorsal pulls, foot pushes, etc as part of what's called a 'structured' swim.

I have always been more than a little 'irked' that Discovery Cove advertises 'swimming with dolphins' when that truly doesn't happen. I guess if they advertised 'Get in the water with dolphins', they'd get fewer takers...

In any event, there are a several dolphin swim programs in Florida that are one heck of a lot better than Discovery Cove. Unfortunately, these programs are down in the Florida Keys so they are not really convenient to Orlando except if the Keys trip includes staying over.

Wooster, OH
3 posts
1 review
6. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

Can someone tell me how much of a drive is it from Dolphin Research Center, Grassy Key from Key West ?

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
7. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

To tusahrm:

It's about 50 miles from Key West to the DRC - a little over a 1 hour drive.

The DRC web site: www.dolphins.org

Wooster, OH
3 posts
1 review
8. Re: Swimming With Dolphins

Thanks Endeavour !