We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port of Call in Key West

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MA
Level Contributor
33 posts
Port of Call in Key West

Hi,

Ill be going to Key West in May during a cruise but unfortunately we only have one day and a short one at that 7-2pm. Because there are so many things to do i'd like to know what you guys suggest we hit up first, also what one beach would you recommend also. Thanks for all your help!!

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,026 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Port of Call in Key West

Since you're there such a short time, I'd save the beach for another cruise stop. The beaches in Key West really aren't that great. Key West is a great walking town, lots of neat architecture, wonderful tropical ambiance. If you like history at all, Hemingway's House is fun. A totally touristy, but fun tour, is the Conch Train. You'll get a good overview of the area and can return to areas that interest you. I prefer the bars down by the docks to the ones on Duval, but for just a few hours, it's a tough call.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
2,941 posts
2. Re: Port of Call in Key West

By all means, do not pass up having a Key Lime Pie drink or 12 at Sloppy Joe's.

Useful web sites:

www.FlaKeys.com

www.greatlocations.com - Click on the Florida Keys & Key West link

Ditto on the previous comment on the beaches in Key West -they aren't much and are not typical of Florida beaches.

Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Port of Call in Key West

Dont miss Hogg's Breath Saloon or Flying Monkey's. And get ready to fall in love with Key West! I "discovered" it on a cruise in Feb 04 and went to visit for 5 days in Feb 05. Hopefully I will be able to go every year from now on!! hehe

Enjoy!

New York
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
72 reviews
4. Re: Port of Call in Key West

Head over to the Schoonerwharf bar, get a draft and chill. Ain't nothin' finer to do with 7 hours in the Conch Republic.

New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
32,385 posts
78 reviews
5. Re: Port of Call in Key West

I used to not reply to these because I thought it was a shame to just spend several hours in Key West, but...

As you get off the boat you can walk around Mallory Square, then look for a large red building on the other side. It is associated with El Meson de Pepe, and inside is a store with Key West and Cuban related things. You could look at these, watch the man make cigars, and maybe buy a momento. Then walk out the front and lokk at the market with postcards and various things to buy. But then find Whitehead. If you walk down Whitehead you will see the Audubon House and gardens, then Kelleys. If you walk farther, you will see, on your right, the lighthouse which you can enter (at a small cost) and see the house and grounds and climb up to the top. On your left is Hemingway's house which you might want to tour. (8.50 / person now). But then keep walking south to the Southern most point, take a photo (the 1,000,000,000th, in all likelyhood) then turn left on South Str. and watch for the Southernmost House. You can tour this as well, then walk north on Duval.

If you do all of this you will use up your time, but have enough left over to have a drink at The Hogg's Breath, Sloppy Joe's, Margueriteville, or Capt'n Tony's. Then a quick jag to the right on Greene then Caroline and over to the Key West Bight to see the ships and the bars. That sound you hear is the ship telling you to return, so hussle back.

Key West in a nutshell. Better to stay a week next time.

Pjk

massachusetts
Level Contributor
895 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Port of Call in Key West

Skip going to the beach - Key West is not known for its beaches. To take in as much Key West as possible with your time constraint you might want to take the trolley tour which you can get off at any stop and get back on until you have made a complete loop around. At one stop (Bahama Market?) you can go to the Hemmingway House. Don't know who you are traveling with but we (adult+child+seniors) enjoyed the tour. There was something of interest for all of us there. Get yourself a slice of key lime pie - yumm! There is a wine shop that you can taste/buy unusual wines made from tropical fruits on Simonton Street. I enjoyed the "Mango Mama" wine. There is so much to see/do. I was there for two days and it wasn't enough!

massachusetts
3 posts
7. Re: Port of Call in Key West

i agree skip the beach get the choclate coated frozen key lime pie ride the conch train and maybe go to the aquarium it is nice loved mageritaville and sloppy joes nice gift shops on duval street check the tourist stands for coupon books too

Marlow, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
82 reviews
8. Re: Port of Call in Key West

We discovered Key West on a cruise in 2000 and are now planning our 4th visit all the way from England. You will love it and will go back again.