We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

key west to bahamas? help!

Raleigh, NC
9 posts
Save Topic
key west to bahamas? help!

I'm taking my 3 daughters to Key West for 3 weeks in Dec. and would like to take out a couple of days for the Bahamas but can't figure out the best way to do it, where a boat leaves from, how to book it, etc. If someone can help, I would very much appreciate it. You'll be helping a mom and kids in need of a nice trip! thanks

W. Bloomfield, MI
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: key west to bahamas? help!

I would check with the Chamber of Commerce in Key West. I don't know other than getting a flight back to Miami and either taking a flight to the bahammas or the catamaran or one of the old gambling cruise boats that Discovery Cruises runs out of Lauderdale. Depends on what island you want...and how long you want to stay, and how much you want to spend, whether you want upscale, busy like Nassau or Paradise Island or laid back and beachey like Marsh Harbour. There are over 600 islands to choose from and everything from quiet bed and breakfast to the one of the most grand hotels in the world The Atlantis! Grand Bahama where Freeport is moderate with some decent resort style hotels. Of course no matter what island you are on the diving and snorkeling are always divine. You could also check with the Bahammas Tourist Board. They are pretty knowledgeable about transportation and what companies are good to book through.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: key west to bahamas? help!

If you find the answer let us know. I have never heard of a boat leaving Key West for the Bahamas. Just the having to fly back to Miami then to the Bahamas.

Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: key west to bahamas? help!

I have been going to Key West for a few years and have looked for a cruise that would pick me up and drop me off in Key West and never been able to find one. Most leave from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and stop in Key West as their first stop and then skip it on the way back.

Lauderdale is only 3 hours away by car. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: key west to bahamas? help!

Depending upon where in the Bahamas you want to go, Delta (I think) has flights out of Key West to and from Bahamas all the time

nassau bahamas
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: key west to bahamas? help!

You will have to go out of MIA or FLL ((ft. Lauderdale) to get to the Bahamas. No boats go over there direct from Key West. I live in Nassau, so I know. All major airlines go to Nassau. You can take a Sea Plane out of Ft.Lauderdale, which is what we do. Its called Chalks Oceanairways. It is great. Hope all of yall come to Nassau to some point; its a unique experience.