We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple questions

Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Couple questions

My group (5 couples) is flying into MIA around noon and staying in islamorada night one. We want to go to Everglades and ride an air boat, will we have enough time?

I went to key west a few years ago and remember going to a bar with a large out door area with a band and possible mechanical bull, younger type crowd. Anyone know the name?

We are renting a boat for a day, should we pack a lunch or is there a restaurant bar acceable by boat?

Suggestions for restaurants for group of 10?

We are renting a house on near southern most point, should we rent bikes for the whole weekend?

TIA

Bien
$, Latin, Fusion, Caribbean
La Grignote
$$ - $$$, French, Cafe
Keys Coffee Co.
$, American, Cafe, Healthy
17 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple questions

Your bar is Cowboy Billy’s, I believe.

The Everglades are before Islamorada.

There is a place in Florida City called Everglades Alligator Farm where admission includes a pretty entertaining air boat ride.

You could visit here before retiring in a Islamorada for the night.

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple questions

Awesome, yes, I meant stop at the Everglades on our way to Islamorada. How long do you think we would spend there?

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Minnesota
Level Contributor
84 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple questions

Two, two and a half hours at most. The airboat ride is really fun and all, but not the longest. You’ll spend ttime looking at alligators of all age groups, too.

SDT
Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
11,842 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple questions

Can you share the house name or address you’re renting. I sometimes am asked for homes that can accommodate large groups and there aren’t that many I know of.

You can rent bike, or you can walk most places from there. It’s about a mile walk to Mallory Square from Southernmost Point with tons of restaurants, shops and bars along the way. If you get tired of walking, there is a free circulator bus you can use. Stop 9 is near the Southernmost Point: https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

Edited: 8:18 am, June 21, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Mallory Square
Mallory Square
12,301 Reviews
Key West, FL
Southernmost Point
Southernmost Point
9,396 Reviews
Key West, FL
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,782 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple questions

Rather than taking a chance of running aground and being fined some huge amount of money with a rental boat, consider a private charter on the Echo, a good boat for 10 people ---> http://www.dolphinecho.com/charter.html

They will provide some amount of food and drinks which are described on that web page, but if you want better things to bring the White Tarpon Deli is very close to where this boat moors. You can stop on the way and have them fix up sandwiches and salads, etc. And a benefit is that they will have kayaks and snorkeling gear.

Pjk

Edited: 11:23 am, June 21, 2018
Mentioned in this post
White Tarpon Deli
White Tarpon Deli
351 Reviews
Key West, FL
Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple questions

Agree that boating in the Keys is challenging even for experienced boaters.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple questions

Where are you renting the boat from? If you want to go any distance, sandbars or keys etc then absolutely bring food and water. I hope you’re experienced boaters, we have many marked channels but tides change and sometimes you’ll be in the shallows and unable to adjust before you run aground. Also, huge fines if you damage coral,sea bottom etc.

Yes, bikes are your best bet for getting around the island. You’re central to many places visitors enjoy but make sure you’re in a legal rental I.e with a transient license or you may have a surprise when you get here.

Florida
Level Contributor
361 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple questions

The bar is Cowboy Bills . 600 block of Duval and has band Thurs thru Sunday but check with them.

As to the everglades head toward 41 north and help the indians out.

I too do not suggest you renting a boat. Irma has changed a lot of locations and you could end up with problems you don't need.

Getting around KW is easy now that we have the free loop bus.

As to wear to stay that depends on budget , Do watch for hidden fees and make sure is a legal rental.

Finding that many rooms might not be easy , so book early

Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
772 Reviews
Key West, FL
Greeley, Colorado
Level Contributor
39 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple questions

I have already booked the boat. It’s a double decker pontoon. What problems do you foresee?? I think we can hire someone from the rental to captain.

And we have already rented the house. That is not the problem, just wondering if we should rent bikes for the weekend vs. a few hours one day.

Thanks for the advice about sandwhich shop!

Edited: 1:17 pm, June 21, 2018
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,188 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple questions

Running aground is a big one. Also, saw you booked a house, just wondering if they are legit, have a transient license etc. illegal rentals are a big issue here.

As said before, definitely bikes for getting around, make sure you have lights. Sandwiches from the deli at Fausto’s on Fleming would be great, also white tarpon on the bight or further away, Eaton street bakery and coles peace, across from each other on Eaton street.

Reply to: Couple questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Key West