We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned

Augusta, Georgia
Level Contributor
152 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned

We just got back from a jam packed trip to Key West and wanted to give some feedback. I'll break this down in categories not days.

House: 6 of us rented a VRBO in Truman Annex, 500 Porter Lane. Great house very updated spacious and the best beds I have slept in in a rental. The Location is mid point to just about anything you would want to do. The free bus shuttle had a stop one street over from us but we rented a 6 person golf cart from Pirate Scooters which was just 2 blocks from the house. The cart was expensive but worth it to us as we drove it to all of our destinations on the island.

Food: First Flight -great food, (risotto was so good) very slow service (sat next to Dale Earnhardt and his family here). Blue Heaven another great meal, the yellowtail was to die for, you could eat the beurre blanc sauce on a leather shoe and love it. These were our two pricier meals. DJ's Clam Shack- large portions everyone enjoyed what they had but the lobster roll. Lobster was rubbery and had no flavor you should stick to fresh local seafood while here. Garbo's large portions,( Korean beef tacos are so yummy) but food has a kick so if you don't like hot food don't eat here. Charlie Mac's good barbecue very reasonable next to Green Parrot Bar (best punch on the island). Blue Macaw really good fish sandwich and blood marys. Boathouse- good shrimp BLT. Then hit up various happy hours Turtle Kraals, White Tarpon my favor VERY CHEAP eats and drinks, Alonzo for oysters. Had a good hot dog outside of the Bull and Whistle. Faulstos Food Store- picked up sandwiches from the deli to take to the beach one day. They have an awesome deli. Stopped by Delicious Donuts and Old Town Bakery to pick up donuts and croissants for the week for breakfast. You can't go wrong with either of these.

Beaches- Let's face it folks you don't go to Key West for the beaches. Went to Smathers and Ft Zachery, Free parking at Smathers and $10 chair and umbrella rental. Had to pay $8 to take the golf cart in to Ft Zackery. Rocky beaches at both, They were working at the pier at Loggerhead beach so did not go there and Higgs Beach is a nice beach but was pretty crowded. We packed a cooler with beer and brought a radio so wanted our own space.

Adventures- Seabago Capt's Choice Sunset Cruise- really nice, limited to only 20 people on the boat. You pay more for this cruise but the apps were high end as were the alcohol selection and you have a lot of space to enjoy the sunset,

Venus Charters- 5 hour private charter for 6 to do what you want. We went to a private beach, followed dolphins pods and when fishing. Capt. Ashley put us on the fish. We were puling them in left and right. Good size but threw them back in.

Sea Plane Key West Dry Tortuga Trip- This was an amazing trip, expensive but well worth the cost. The plane ride is half the fun. The flight takes about 40 mins, with you flying about 500 ft above the water. You can see turtle, sharks, rays ship wrecks from the air. The snorkeling had an over abundance for large, small and colorful fish you just don't see closer to the land. The fort was interesting if you are a history buff and the water and area around the fort is beautiful. The birds were migrating and it was very cool to see so many of them there.

Bars- what can you say walk around until you hear something you like, go in and enjoy the music. We found great music at Sloppy Joe's, Green Parrot and Bull and Whistle. If you find a band you like you can go to 6toejam,com for info as to when and where they will be playing each night.

We did the scorpion challenge at Lucy's Retired Surf Bar for a t-shirt and also did the Key West Cocktail Challenge for another shirt (go to Green Parrot, Charlie Mac's, Turtle Kraal, Island Dogs or Half Shell to get your card and start drinking. Sign up for your Southern Rewards Card you can use it at any of these places to earn points towards money off your bill.

IF YOU ARE DRINKING BUY A KEY WEST BAR CARD IT WILL PAY FOR ITSELF ON YOUR FIRST DAY.

Key West you got to love it.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Truman Hotel
Truman Hotel
1,160 Reviews
Key West, FL
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,453 Reviews
Key West, FL
DJ's Clam Shack
DJ's Clam Shack
1,714 Reviews
Key West, FL
Charlie Mac's
Charlie Mac's
1,021 Reviews
Key West, FL
Green Parrot Bar
Green Parrot Bar
1,193 Reviews
Key West, FL
The Boathouse
The Boathouse
776 Reviews
Key West, FL
Turtle Kraals
Turtle Kraals
1,609 Reviews
Key West, FL
Old Town Bakery
Old Town Bakery
1,217 Reviews
Key West, FL
Smathers Beach
Smathers Beach
1,235 Reviews
Key West, FL
Higgs Beach
Higgs Beach
710 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
110 Reviews
from $145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
119 Reviews
from $63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
396 Reviews
from $65.00*
$75.00
11 replies to this topic
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,114 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned

Sounds like you had a fantastic time! We did the cocktail challenge as well and it was really good fun ! I cant believe we are almost 3 weeks back already .. I need a vacation!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,767 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned

I'm glad early reports from First Flight were good. We missed it last month. And if six people are willing, a charter is the way to go.

Pjk

Edited: 12:26 pm, June 17, 2018
Pottsville...
Level Contributor
960 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned

Sounds like a great trip! We did the seaplane too and loved it.

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
12,987 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned

Interesting Trip report Thanks

Boca Raton, Florida
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned

Thanks for sharing, reading post like this help me make it through the day, especially when my next visit is soon!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned

I dream about Blue Heavens yellowtail dinner, yum!

Key West
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
3,383 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned

Thanks for sharing. Happy to hear you had a great trip, and I agree the Blue Heaven yellowtail dinner is a winner!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,453 Reviews
Key West, FL
Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned

Love your report! I have become a huge fan of First Flight! Their $5 Tito’s cocktails with fresh squeezed juice are a delightful and surprising upgrade as compared with many other HH options. That they are literally a stones throw from our new house, is an extra bonus!

Also, re: the bearer blanc Blue Heaven serves with their yellowtail — I have been “frighteningly close” to “plate licking” to savor all of it... YUM!

Mentioned in this post
Blue Heaven
Blue Heaven
12,453 Reviews
Key West, FL
Pt. Pleasant, NJ
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned

Rats! We never got to First Flight during our 2-week trip. Looks like we missed out!

Great trip report, thanks for sharing.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned

Thanks! Great report. I want to go now!!🍹🌴

Reply to: Just returned
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted