We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel time and cost around Key West

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
travel time and cost around Key West

there are 4 adults arriving by ferry for a little over 24 hours in July. We will be staying over near seaside drive and obviously wanting to hit Duval street and the southernmost point in our stay.

can anyone advise on if there are ubers and cost from one side to the middle and back? Also is it easier to rent a car for a day? Any suggestions welcome as we haven't been here before and are celebrating a 50th birthday so we want a stress free visit. TIA

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
101 Reviews
from $145.00*
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
112 Reviews
from $63.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
395 Reviews
from $65.00*
$75.00
12 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Plenty of Taxis available - Uber on KW has had mixed reviews. We usually use Five 6's or Key Lime Taxi. I wouldn't recommend renting a car mostly because parking is a pain.

Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Uber or Lyft are both available in the Keys and easy to grab. I’m not sure of cost but you could put in your hotel and a Duval street bar into the app to get an idea. Definitely wouldn’t recommend renting a car. Parking is hard to find and pricey! For such a short trip you might want to look into a hotel/ b&b closer to Duval. Are you taking the Key West Express ferry? I’m not sure if it’s still allowed but when I took it a couple of years ago we carried on our own wine/cocktails and made them at our seats on the rooftop deck instead of using the bar on board! Just an idea to save a few bucks before you get down there!

Edited: 4:44 pm, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
767 Reviews
Key West, FL
Mechanicsburg, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Of course one night is not enough. We are going in July for 7 nights. But no car rental and I would just walk & explore, no need for taxi or Uber.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Key West, Avalon
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Where they are staying they will definitely need a way to get around.

Mechanicsburg, PA
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Ohhhh. I see now where Seaside Drive is. Not good. Stay in Old Town anywhere. Especially for one night.

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Absolutely cab rather than Uber or lyft, use 296-6666 it key lime taxi, local drivers who know their way around.

Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Must agree use the cab. They are not much more than Uber and a lot safer. we use the five 6's

When you get off the ferry you can walk right into Dante's for drink and dip in pool.

We also have a free loop bus and stop #1 is just outside of Dante's .

If not too late I suggest old town as a one day visit will be costly in time if not near Duval.

Mentioned in this post
Dante's
Dante's
752 Reviews
Key West, FL
Duval Inn
Duval Inn
767 Reviews
Key West, FL
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Thank you so much! That is most helpful...we are arriving by ferry on july 5th and since this is last minute there were not a lot of choices to stay at a reasonable price. Thus we did an air bnb at seaside, we figure we will be there to sleep only. Any suggestions for 2 women turning 50 is always welcome :)

Edited: 10:20 am, June 12, 2018
Florida
Level Contributor
259 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Best advise is pay the extra money to be in old town. Check out the Curry Mansion and you will not need cab or uber as only 4 blocks and the free loop bus cuts that down to less than a block. Might cost extra 100 but worth it

Edited: 11:05 am, June 16, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Curry Mansion
Curry Mansion
129 Reviews
Key West, FL
Deerfield Beach...
Level Contributor
767 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel time and cost around Key West

Any reason you are staying for such a short time? I would stay at least 3 nights if you can swing it. I highly recommend you rethink your accommodations and stay in Old Town. You will be able to walk almost everywhere. I would say do not rent a car as it is hard to find parking in Old Town.

What is your budget? We found decent prices in July in Old Town (just booked 4 nights this morning).

Reply to: travel time and cost around Key West
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted