We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know which restaurants or bars have been around the longest ?

Also, what are the newest ones to open?

Bien
$, Latin, Fusion, Caribbean
La Grignote
$$ - $$$, French, Cafe
Keys Coffee Co.
$, American, Cafe, Healthy
12 replies to this topic
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,514 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

One of the oldest has to be Pepe's(1909) and one of the newest - the Breakfast Club Too.

Pjk

Edited: 12:14 pm, June 11, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Pepe's Cafe
Pepe's Cafe
2,587 Reviews
Key West, FL
Okemos, Michigan
Level Contributor
413 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

Capt. Tony's was the original Sloppy Joe's of Hemingway lore.

Hershey,PA
Level Contributor
182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

Sloppy Joe's has been at it's current location since 1937....

Wesley Chapel...
Level Contributor
629 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

This article gives the age of a few places.

https:/…

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,514 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

Sit back and get comfortable.

This is a walking tour of Hemingway-relate places. Unfortunately you cannot "do" #3 or #7 anymore but I noticed there's a new shop where the Pelican Poop was on Simonton. You did #7 by going through the shop to the small garden for the audio tour. There is a nice garden in there and if it ever becomes available again check it out. .

https:/…1015020

There's a Hemingway Letters Project in the works which intends to publish every letter extant that he wrote, and they are pretty liberal with what they consider a letter, including telegrams, inscriptions, dedications and my favorite - a letter which survived as the imprint of another letter on the next page of a pad. They are up to volume 4 which goes to about 1931: in Key West but pre-house and boat. Who'd a known Ernest and Pauline lived at 1100 South Street for a while? The Overseas Hotel. Still with me? Anyway, the only two places mentioned so far are the Casa Marina and the La Concha, both of which he used to put up visitors to Key West. And he mentions over and over how much he liked to go out to the Tortugas to fish.

There are 17 volumes projected and if this seems like a lot find the complete letters of Henry James. The good news is that reading the letters is very interesting, not only the letters but the footnotes that go along to explain references to people and places and to decipher some of the slang he used. "Seeds" for "dollars" for example. And after reading several hundred letters you realize the difference between the voice an author uses in written works vs.. everyday letter-writing.

The downside? I will not live long enough to read volume 17. Volume 5 seems to be taking forever. Let's get on the stick Trogden and Spannier.

Pjk

Edited: 11:27 am, June 12, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Kings Mills, Ohio
Level Contributor
730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

With Key West being an island in the Tropics, I assumed it's history would be older than here in Cincinnati. I knew that Arnold's was the oldest bar in Cincinnati, but to my surprise it predates all the bars in Key West. The building where the original Sloppy Joe's was located was built in 1851, but the bar didn't open until 1933. Arnold's, which still is in it's original location, opened in 1861. But I'd still rather be in Key West now.

http://www.arnoldsbarandgrill.com/history.htm

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
South Jersey
Level Contributor
3,518 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

I have you by almost a century - during the summer you will often find me at the outside bar listening to live music here:

onlyinyourstate.com/new-jersey/oldest-bar-nj/

Yes the oldest bar in NJ is right down the street from me, and can have a Key West vibe on a warm summer night.

Edited: 3:51 pm, June 12, 2018
Kings Mills, Ohio
Level Contributor
730 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

It makes sense that coastal cities would have older bars. That's why I was surprised Cincinnati's was so much older than Key West's. It took a long time for the settlers to make their way this far west.

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

Ohio became a state in 1803, Florida in 1845. Its common sense that Ohio would have older bars. Older restaurants. Older churches. Older everything. Ohio is just older LOL!

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,950 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness

But isn't the oldest city in the US in Florida?

Don't you think the Spanish might have established a few taverns in the Keys? And found their way to the Rock?

Mentioned in this post
Florida
Florida
United States
Reply to: Oldest resturaunts/bars still in buisness
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;