We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

November Travel

Which Key West hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kansas City
Level Contributor
597 posts
1 review
Save Topic
November Travel

We are in the planning stages of a trip to KW in the fall and would appreciate some advice on a variety of topics. Your input on any and all would be appreciated.

1. Is early to mid Nov. a good time to visit KW? How is the weather? Still top down and shorts and t-shirts?

2. How small are planes that fly in to and out of KW airport? Would a squemish flyer be better off flying in/out of Ft. Lauderdale or Miami and driving down? Anything "not to miss" between Ft. L and KW?

3. We have narrowed our hotel search down to the Ambrosia Too but then we read that there are cats on the premises. My wife is allergic to cats so we need to know of some of your experiences. Do the cats roam around through the rooms or are they contained in the manager's quarters?

4. We want to do an everglades air boat tour. Are there any that we should stay away from or especially search for (directions please)? Is the air boat tour really that big of a thing?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,628 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: November Travel

In November you can hit storms - Tropical Storms, and Hurricanes. It's towards the end of the season, but it can happen. When the weather is not storms, it is certainly top down weather, t-shirts, and shorts.

If you think you are not going to enjoy a 20 seat plane, don't fly into KW - Especially if you want to take an everglades airboat tour. If you fly into KW, you'll just have to drive back up to the everglades. You may as well hit the everglades on the way down (or back).

As far as cats - Your wife is the one who is allergic. How bad is the allergy? If cats roam around the premise, then everytime you walk in and out of the B&B, you have to contend with the allergies. It's your call, but if it were me, and my wife was allergic to cats, I'd stay away from places with cats, or leave my wife at home.

The later wouldn't happen if I know what is good for me, so that leaves the former.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,861 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: November Travel

I've been in Key West the past couple of years in November. I think it's a great time to go. Still warm weather, but still off season prices.

The American Airlines planes that fly between Miami and Key West are pretty good sized, I'd say 50 passengers at least. Another option is to look into Delta, they fly small jets in. I enjoy the drive from Miami to Key West, but detest the ride back. So, we fly into Miami and home from Key West. Just get a one day car rental to make the trip down and return it the next day.

I'm not sure I've ever stayed at a B&B in Key West that doesn't have at least one cat on the grounds. I have walked out of the bathroom and found a cat asleep on the rug in front of the door. At another place I opened the front door of out cottage, a cat walked in, jumped in bed with my husband and licked his nose. He was surprised to say the least. That being said, if you don't want them inside, keep the door closed.

We stayed at Ambrosia a few years ago. The cats were around the pool, never tried to enter our room there. If your spouse has serious allergies, you might want to look into more of a hotel environment. Key West is full of cats. They're everywhere.

Jean

NJ
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: November Travel

We usually go to Key West from mid October to the begining of November. The weather has always been excellent this rime of year. Tempatures upper 80's during the day and upper 70's in the evening. When it rains, which is rare, it last for about 20 minutes and then the sun is back out. We have stayed at Ambrosia Too for the last 5 years, and you will just love it. They have about 3 cats that reside on the premises, but they just hang out on the grounds/by the pool. I have never seen a cat enter a guest room. Key West is known for having cats roam the island. As far as your flying dilemma, the drive from FL to KW is 4 hours. If I was going for a week or longer, I would drive, if I was going for 4 days, I would not want to waste half a day driving. Its up to you. Once you get to KW, you will not need a car. USAir Express flies into KW and so does Cape Air. Cape Air consists of planes with about 10 seats. We have taken them, and they are fine, but if your really nervous, don't use them. The flight is under an hour. Have fun.

Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: November Travel

I flew in from Fort Lauderdale to Key West in Feb. To be honest I was nervous about flying in such a small plane! Truthfully though it was not bad AT ALL. And they flight is so short its over before you know it.

Memphis, TN
Level Contributor
5,100 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: November Travel

November is usually a very nice time to visit KW. There is a slight chance of tropical storms in Nov., but they are rare. KW is shorts and t-shirt most of the year. I'd suggest bringing along a light jacket or sweater just in case.

As for air transport in to EYW, Delta Connection has jet service from Atlanta and Orlando. The Atlanta flights are 72 seat Bombardier regional jet aircraft and the Orlando flights are 35 seat Embraer jets. Both are fast, safe and a bit crowded. American Eagle operates 70 seat ATR-72 turboprops from Miami, and that is a good reliable way to get there. Continental Connection flies 19 seat Beech 1900 and 32 seat Embraer Brasilia turboprops from several Florida cities. Again, these airplanes have a very good safety record, but if you are claustraphobic, I'd avoid this airline. Since I live in the mid-south, my airline of choice is Delta for both comfort, convience and decent connections to EYW airport.

o fallon il
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: November Travel

We have been to key west for the last 5 novembers. We go Thanksgiving week. The weather has been good. Last year was the best. In the low 80's every day. We did have a morning shower on Thanksgiving day but by noon it was great. We have stayed at Ambrosia. It is okay. The new rooms are fine but we did not like the older house. We have stayed at the Weatherstation Inn in the Truman annex the last 2 years and love it. It is peaceful and quiet but very close to duval st and mallory square and an easy walk to Fort Zachary Beach. Price a little higher than Ambrosia but we felt it was worth it.