We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time going to Key West

New York
12 posts
Save Topic
First time going to Key West

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Key West this summer and I had a couple of questions. I have found 2 fairly cheap hotels that we are trying to decide between, but they are at different ends of the island, one is at 1125 Duval Street and the other Roosevelt Blvd. The one on Roosevelt seems more out of the way, but the one on Duval doesn't appear to be near where the "action" is either (I guess it is more towards the southern part of the island). Would either be a better choice? I was also wondering if we should plan on renting a car or not? I realize the island is small, but I didn't know how much transportation costs and how much walking we would/could actually do. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mpls/St. Paul
1 post
Save Reply
31. Re: First time going to Key West

I'm not looking at a street map, so I'm not exactly sure of those locations, but I can tell you we just went to the Keys last February, and if you're planning on staying in Key West and not seeing the other Keys, a car probably isn't necessary (at least not most of the time). There is excellent shuttle (bus) service, you just pay once and get on and off as needed, so the advice we gave our daughter who went in March is that is best to get a hotel close to a scheduled stop on the route because you will do alot of walking around Duval Street and at the end of the day/night you'll be glad to get off close to your hotel. I think of your two choices the Duval location is better. FYI: We stayed at the Blue Marlin and our daughter stayed at The Key Lime Inn. She loved it and we satisfied with our choice. Don't miss the "Sunset Celebration"!